Rhodonite Handle Utility

bjohnson

I finished this one just before the new year. I finally took some photos before it goes to it's new owner.

Rhodonite_002.jpgRhodonite_001.jpg

OAL: 7 1/2″
Blade: 3″ cutting edge, 1/8″ CPM154, Heat treated to 61-62 HRC with cryo treatment, Mirror Polished
Handle: Polished Rhodonite (Stone)
Additional: Hidden pins, stainless bolsters, slightly tapered tang, tooled custom leather sheath

Hello Ben,
I like that handle material and the knife too! is this a recon stone? I see we are nearby each other.
If you are in Santa Monica and have time please stop by to say hello!

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Thanks for the feedback!

Frank - As far as stone goes, I would say Rhodenite is average. I've worked with harder material that took forever, and soft material that practically melted against the wheel. I'm not sure if I will use it again because it seemed a tad brittle. But it was selected by the customer.

Laurence - Not recon, it's the real thing. I'm lucky enough to be involved in the local gem and mineral society with access to their equipment. It's nice to see another maker in southern California. Do you make it to the So Cal knife shows? I see knife expo 2013 is coming up in March. It would be cool to meet up there.

Thanks for the feedback!

Frank - As far as stone goes, I would say Rhodenite is average. I've worked with harder material that took forever, and soft material that practically melted against the wheel. I'm not sure if I will use it again because it seemed a tad brittle. But it was selected by the customer.

Laurence - Not recon, it's the real thing. I'm lucky enough to be involved in the local gem and mineral society with access to their equipment. It's nice to see another maker in southern California. Do you make it to the So Cal knife shows? I see knife expo 2013 is coming up in March. It would be cool to meet up there.

Ben,
I have a retail store in front of my shop so I haven't done a knife show in over a decade.
I would love to come and meet you and other makers. I just don't seem to have the time anymore.
Maybe I can come on Sunday?

I have been thinking about starting a Santa Monica Knife show for custom sole authorship makers only.
No production stuff or kit knife makers or supplier's, just hand forged and ground knives, folders and fixed. That's the idea anyway, I am open to input by any interested makers?

Its something that can be talked about and developed. Santa Monica is a great destination place, Guys can bring their families and let them go to the beach, Movie or shop etc..

Let me know if you or anyone else have interest?

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

www.westsidesharpening.com

Laurence,
I go to the shows to stock up on supplies and talk with other knife makers. I haven't got a table yet - mainly because I don't have a lot of inventory.
I will definitely stop by your shop and say hi next time I'm in your neighborhood.
I'm always interested in more local knife shows. You can count me in.

Ben

Back