Rick Hinderer Xm-18 Xm-24

The hand ground customs have a hollow grind, the CNC blades are not fake just CNC machined but sharpened by Rick, I guess 1400 for 2 will make them mid-tech productions, so not hand ground / customs, unless you were very lucky :D

Ok, thank you. was it always that way? Is that only the case for generation 4? Because I know he did all different typs of grinds on the other generations and weren't they all hand done back then?

Ok, thank you. was it always that way? Is that only the case for generation 4? Because I know he did all different typs of grinds on the other generations and weren't they all hand done back then?

Its not rocket science, the Gen. 1 and 2. are all hand ground, and easy to recognize because they have R.Hinderer on the blade, the Gen.3 and 4. have only Hinderer on the frame.

But..there are also Hand ground Gen.3 and Gen.4 customs, they are also easy to recognize because they all have a hollow grind (not CNC cut), and most of them have a satin finished blade.

Spanto and also since last year slicer grinds are "available" both as hand ground custom and (CNC) Production, the other special grinds such as Spearpoint/Hellfire/Bowie/Dagger/Skinner/Wharncliffe are all hand ground customs, but you will quickly notice that from the price ;)

Last edited:
May not be "rocket science" but for someone who is unfamiliar with his knives it is confusing. If you dont know what to look for, the average person has no idea what generation the knife is(because the all look exactly the same). And without someone telling you about the grinds there is no way of knowing what your buying because the people selling them dont mention if it is CNC or hand done. And although price is a good indicator you can not 100% rely on that either.
PS: There is no love in a knife made by machine (CNC). Any knife made by machine is purely for greed/money. CNC=No Love/Immatation:p

Last edited:
@Suppavillin The CNC cut blades were done due to the big demand for these knives, and to keep the costs down so the average Joe who needs one (Military/LEO/EMT) can afford one too, but they are all still hand sharpened by the man himself.

PS Its called CNC not C&C, stands for Computer Numerical Control...;) In the end its just a tool, and hand ground knives are maybe nice for collectors but they are rarely used for the real work.

Last edited:
Hey man, don't tell all of those guys carrying my knives that!

:)
I hope for those guys that your knives are more affordable and easier to obtain than those hand ground XM folders..:D

BTW Just checked your website, some great looking knife designs you have there !

Last edited:
@Suppavillin The CNC cut blades were done due to the big demand for these knives, and to keep the costs down so the average Joe who needs one (Military/LEO/EMT) can afford one too,

@emel Yeah, I wish that people were careing like that. But trust me man, the cnc idea was not to help "us" obtain a knife at a cheaper price. The cnc knives are just as much as the hand ground ones used to be (if not even a little more) and the hand ground ones are now just ridiculos at 1700 and up. Nothing is cheaper since the cnc.And if you disagree Show me a cnc hinderer that is cheaper than they used to be. It was not done for "us" it was done to get rick rich. Nothing wrong with that just sayin. His knives were 500-700 100% handmade. now they are 700-900 cnc

Last edited:
@Suppavillin The CNC cut blades were done due to the big demand for these knives, and to keep the costs down so the average Joe who needs one (Military/LEO/EMT) can afford one too,

@emel Yeah, I wish that people were careing like that. But trust me man, the cnc idea was not to help "us" obtain a knife at a cheaper price. The cnc knives are just as much as the hand ground ones used to be (if not even a little more) and the hand ground ones are now just ridiculos at 1700 and up. Nothing is cheaper since the cnc.And if you disagree Show me a cnc hinderer that is cheaper than they used to be. It was not done for "us" it was done to get rick rich. Nothing wrong with that just sayin. His knives were 500-700 100% handmade. now they are 700-900 cnc

I think you confuse Rick's prices with dealer and secondary market prices, the hand ground ones still cost only 150 more than his mid-tech cnc knives.

You can only get them at shows if you win the lottery, then its still 550 for a hand ground XM-18 and 700 for a 24. The prices people and dealers sell them for are based on supply and demand, if your not happy with them don't buy one or join the army or become a fireman ;), or just go to a lottery.

If there were only hand ground XM's believe me the prices would be even higher now...because of the demand and even shorter supply. The man is not a breathing grinding machine and can't be blamed for the big demand of his excellent designs. You can also get a ZT collaboration they are great value for money if you want one of his designs.

Last edited:
Yeah, I never knew what he himself charged. I just saw all these dealers charging super high prices And thanks for the fun argument and help with the handground ID;)

Last edited:
Yeah, I never knew what he himself charged. I just saw all these dealers charging super high prices And thanks for the fun argument and help with the handground ID;)

No problem, I looked up the announcement of the Gen.3 knives for you from May 2008:

"Official Announcement regarding my XM-18 folder

Due to a very large demand for my XM-18 I was not getting orders out in a very timely manner. I needed to find a way to get more knives in customer’s hands which included a lot of our law enforcement and military personal. I was not about to sacrifice quality or workmanship as I feel that is a hallmark of the XM-18.
To that end I decided to have the blades ground outside of my shop on a state of the art cnc grinder. This company nailed the Spanto grind that has grown so popular! In a lot of ways I like it even better than my hollow grind. The grind is truly a very good slicer! Everything else is the exact same with the grind. These blades also have a very nice tumble finish. Another change that I made with the production of the XM-18 is that I am now working with much larger batches. What this means is the customer will be getting his or her knife a lot faster. And in some cases will even enable one to obtain a XM-18!
Does this make the knife any different? Absolutely not! Everything else regarding the hand production of the knife is still the same. The only difference you will see from the ones I’ve made in the past is the flat grind on the blade.
This change will take effect immediately on all the XM-18’s coming out of my shop including the ones I have had on order.
Thanks so much for all your past and future support of Rick Hinderer Knives!"

update
i have zero interest in Hinderer knives. He does not like collectors buying his knives. I wouldn't want to piss him off.

Last edited:
Back