Rise and fall indicator

CAJones

I recently purchased a Knife Dogs brand rise and fall indicator to help with fit up on folders. The stock pins that come with it are 3/32" which is perfect for my backspring, but doesn't fit the pivot pin area for me. I am currently using bushings that have 1/8" ID and 1/4" OD. Would anyone have a suggestion or know of a supplier that might carry bushings with 3/32" ID in at least 1/8" OD so I can adapt the factory pin to fit my needs?
I have a PM in to Tracy, but I fully understand he is likely busy. I am kind of in a time crunch, so any thoughts or advice is greatly appreciated!

Chris

If you are going to use 1/8" pivot pis pull the 3/32 pin out and drill out the hole to fit an 1/8" pin. Then find someone with a small lathe to make you a pin with an 1/8" bottom and a 3/32" top so you can switch them out.

Great advice.
Personally i don't find the whole concoction is actually that useful!
Measurements will change once the spring is under tension, so just getting in the "ballpark" with a precision instrument before ht is pointless to begin with....the point of the spring will rise and the flexing portion will sink.
Then when the parts are hardened, knowing a precise differential reference value (displayied on a clock) doesn't help my sanding/grinding adjustments more than seeing on a caliper and feeling with the fingernail the actual bit of steel to be removed... since i'm not a machine don't feed me with thousands ;)

The only thing i find it worth remembering while tuning is being sure the lower spring is in OP, since adjusting the tang from a proud CP and HS is way easier.

Back