Roller bearing V-block

C Craft

Is there another name for this???

s-l225.jpg
MACHINIST TOOLS * ROLLER BEARING V-BLOCKS * UPTECH ENGINEERING * MATCHED

• $299.99
  • Buy It Now

I found this one Ebay but I am not about to pay that for what may be a one time use. Besides I am looking for something that might accommodate a 1" diameter shaft say all the way up to 6"-7" diameter pipe, I need to weld up. I don't know if they make them adjustable on width or not???

The only ones I can find other than this one on Ebay, come from India and the price is not much better. Am I missing something are they called by another name?? I have checked Enco and MSC and nothing under the name, "ROLLER BEARING V-BLOCKS". I was hoping some of you machinist types would have some ideas on this subject! Anyone?????

There's some of those in the weld shop where I work, on adjustable stands. our guy welds 2" up to 6" steel on. I think the rollers start hitting at 4" pipe.
I'll ask where he got them but they don't look like they cost $300.00 though.

Thanks Steve! I have not had much success at Googling them.

That why I was wondering if I was calling them by the wrong name! I understand that they are designed to be a precision tool, however they can only be as precise as the surface that they sit on!!

I would love to have a set to use in the shop for a couple of upcoming projects. But I can't see that much cost. $300 dollars is way more than I can see my way clear to pay for them.

If I had milling capabilities I could whip up a set I believe for not a whole lot of cost! But you know what they say about, "IF", if a bull frog had a back pocket he could carry a pistol to keep the snakes shot off of himself!! :what!::biggrin:

Found a set on Amazon, they are expensive!

You could make these easily without a mill. I can't see where the end would need to be closed. A few bearings and a few pieces of steel. Drill multiple holes for the bearing shafts and you could make them adjustable in width. Maybe make the V a deeper U shape for smaller work.

YMMV

You can easy make those yourself using only a bandsaw to saw the Vee notch, then a drillpress to drill holes for bearings. The bearings are cheap, and no more weight than they'll need to carry, the bearing supported only on a single side should be plenty.

You could even drill 2 or 3 sets of holes to allow easy moving bearings to support different size pipes from 1" to 10".

Ken H>

Back