Round or Square

Tooln

I'm new and still learning and researching. I don't get here as often as I should but do when I can. I'm hoping to get some insight from anyone who has some experience or an opinion. If I purchase or build a forge what internal shape would be best? From what I've learned so far if the body is round and if the burner is set up right it will swirl the flame/heat making it more efficient than a square body. My main use will be knives but also plan on some scroll work. Thank in advance for any help.

round with burner setup to create that swirling action you mention is the ONLY logical choice - from my thinking anyway. I had a square forge with burners pointing straight down. To heat a billet I had to keep moving in 'n out or it would have a bad hot spot. With the round body forge I built the swirling action will have a 12" billet an even orange glow from end to end without moving it around.

Have fun building your forge - they're easy to build, and by all means go with a blown burner rather than the venturi. I've had both and there is no comparison.

Check out the Build a Gas Forge and the Ribbon Burner attachments on the Forge Supplies page at
www.WayneCoeArtistBlacksmith.com.
Let me know if I can help you.
About $100.00 plus the hose, regulator and burner using a 20# Propane tank.
Also consider using a Ribbon Burner for more even heat and a more efficient forge.

Back