Rulz is rulz....

Smallshop

KNIFE MAKER
I'm not allowed to buy any more wood. This rule has been in effect for months. I have poured way more $$ into finishing the shop than I had hoped. My wife hasn't said a word....but....she knows I am an absolute idiot when it comes to wood...So I had to agree that 3 shelves full of scales is enough....

So...I have to use some of my stockpile before I can buy more.

Yesterday J. Doyle put up some curly maple that nearly caused a marital dispute...lol. I was literally trying to project how serious the "discussion" would be if I caved....lol. I'm pathetic...

Great prices and amazing figure!

https://knifedogs.com/threads/aweso...na-walnut-curly-maple-more.46644/#post-353260

Ted - I saw that and feel your pain. Except for me it was the amboyna burl. Luckily someone bought it and I am off the hook. Stay strong my friend.

I just finished out a handle yesterday using some curly maple I got from John Doyle. Every time I see him post pics of blocks for sale I start get nervous and itchy. Then I start looking in my knife account to see if I afford a little taste. My wife starts yelling, "you need to stop! You have to take control!" and I'm in the fetal position holding my stomach rocking back and forth...

Lol you guys! Strength in numbers....Can't wait till I get a green light...gonna stock up!
if you have longer pieces, try a few cutting boards or kitchen utensils like spatulas or spoons. most of my handle wood I find while breaking larger pieces for table tops or table legs. nicest small pieces go in the box for future handles, others get used for cuttings boards or utensils

Whoever got the #5 block of walnut has a superb handle in that pair of scales. I just made a deal to trade a coupe of knives for the scary sharp sharpening system I recently got and he is going to send me some blocks of swamp kauri which is a highly prized wood here in NZ and will also put in some other types for me.

I am primarily a wood guy so understand the addiction for samples of the beauty that God has placed within the trees He has graced us with.

Why do you guys tell your wives?? :)
"got some new wood" or "got some new steel" or "got some new sanding belts". then temper that with " try out this new knife" or "how do you like this new table" or "do you like the new pattern in this cutting board". I guess if you show you are using the items you buy to make finished goods, it goes easier.

Or better yet when you are able to give them some cash for new shoes (etc etc etc) it is much easier to justify the outgoing expense for these necessary goodies coming into our sheds.

My affliction are Tools!! If I had the money I'd run out and buy me a 2x72!! Probably the Reeder one! All tricked out with a VFD and all the fixins!!

My affliction are Tools!! If I had the money I'd run out and buy me a 2x72!! Probably the Reeder one! All tricked out with a VFD and all the fixins!!
get something like a wilmont LB1000, a rock solid little machine for less than $1500 with motor and VFD if you shop wisely. take the remaining $1000 and give to Tru-grit or BossDog for the sanding belts you will use in the first year. IMHO, brand name of grinder means little as long as you get a unit you like. helps if you live where you can try b4 u buy.

get something like a wilmont LB1000, a rock solid little machine for less than $1500 with motor and VFD if you shop wisely. take the remaining $1000 and give to Tru-grit or BossDog for the sanding belts you will use in the first year. IMHO, brand name of grinder means little as long as you get a unit you like. helps if you live where you can try b4 u buy.
Yes...feed the beast...intelligently. When you get that grinder you will ask...."how did I go my whole life without this!!??"

I've still got a couple of blocks from John that I've had for about 2 years. They were so nice, I was scared to use them! I keep going to my cheaper stock and think I'll use John's for a really nice project one of these days. Maybe I should just polish them up and call them paper weights. :) Knife shows are a killer for me too, you're standing there holding it in your hand and it just looks soooo awesome! I've got some really expensive stabilized and dyed giraffe bone, fossilized this or that, burls, etc. that I took home from shows, only to go right back to that "too scared to mess them up" problem. As for the wife, I just divide everything by 10 when she asked what it cost!

You guys crack me up. :) I'm the same way though. I think I would collect wood blocks even if I didn't make knives.

I appreciate all the kind words. I try to sell really high quality stuff at great prices. Just trying to help other makers out, coming at the cost thing from a knifemaker's perspective.

Everyone is missing the point AND an opportunity. I am perfectly happy to adhear the a three shelf limit. In my shop the shelves happen to be 30 feet long! Just build longer shelves and market it as shop cleaning and organizing.

I think there is also a name for guys like John, enablers !
Erik

Everyone is missing the point AND an opportunity. I am perfectly happy to adhear the a three shelf limit. In my shop the shelves happen to be 30 feet long! Just build longer shelves and market it as shop cleaning and organizing.

I think there is also a name for guys like John, enablers !
Erik
..Or dealers....lol.

Back