Safe buffer speed?

Mike Jones

Google Master
I can get a running 1725rpm motor for $20, and I was wondering what a safe speed to run a buffer at was. I was planning on using a mandrel to have two wheels. Because of this setup, I will have the ability to pick a slower speed than normal. I was thinking a 3:2 pulley ratio, to get it to 1150 rpm.

Also, could someone educate me about the buffing grits/types of wheels? I would like to be able to get a mirror finish on wood, but also a sheen on handles. Thanks for any advice.

Edit: it's a 1/2 hp motor

Last edited:
1725 is fine. If you want it to be safe don't turn it on. If you do turn it on turn off the radio, turn off any noisy friends, and pay attention. You just turned on the most dangerous piece of equipment in your shop.

I have a 3/4hp Baldor buffer. When I change buffs I run the nut down only enough to spin the buff. That way if you press too hard it will stop the buff from spinning. It's not a grinder, it's a buffer.

Mike.
Every tool in the shop can be unsafe if used improperly or not respected. I have a better chance of getting hurt on my grinder only because I tend to get relaxed and careless with it because I use it so much and it seems safe. I always respect and give the buffer my full attention.
Do a search of buffer safety and learn the small areas of the wheel you can safely touch.I have a great link but it's in my computer.

Mike
1725 is ok. Just keep in mind you cant take your focus off it for even a second. Another thing is I cringe when I see a buffer sitting on a bench. That is just a place for a knife to bounce off and come back at you. It is pretty easy to build a pedastel to put it on, and I keep a box of old towels directly under the pedastel to catch anything.
That way whatever gets taken from your hands has a good chance of survival. I started this after a knife got pulled away and destroyed when it hit the floor. Also make sure all your buffing is below the centerline of the buff, that way it will thrown down and away instead of back at you.

As for compounds, I use matchless green and no-scratch pink.

Sean

If you want it to be safe don't turn it on.

2thumbs

Several people already beat me to the punch :D

I also run my buffer away from me. When I setup my 1st buffer I was told to run it that way by the supplier that sold me the buff's and thats how I did it for years, then someone told me that was unsafe so I turned it around and then it was really unsafe (for me anyways). I just work on top of the buff and when it throws things it seems to throw them at the ceiling or wall :) I had a back spacer ripped from my hands once and I tore the shop apart looking for it, I gave up and made another one and a few weeks later I was looking up at the ceiling because a bulb had burned out and I found my back spacer stuck in the drywall.

1725 is what it usually recomended, 3600 is way too fast and I assume slower than 1725 would be even better unless your tring for a mirror polish.

1725 is a good speed any faster just makes the buffer more dangerous. I use a light weight stand so I won't have the tendency to push very hard and I snug the arbor nuts just enough to turn the buff. The buff turns toward me and I use the bottom half of the buff so if the material snags it will hopefully be thrown to the floor. I like the idea of the box of rags sitting below the buffing wheel, I'll have to try that.
Larry

I like the idea of the box of rags sitting below the buffing wheel, I'll have to try that.
Larry

I'll hafta give that a try, too.

My little buffer(for handles only) sits on my workbench, but the big one has a pedestal.

Back