Safety Gear

remist17

I am sorry if I posted in the wrong section, but I was hoping for some suggestions on safety gear. I am looking for a better face mask and set of goggles. The goggles I put one when I am using the sander on metal or wood. All the goggles I have gotten either fog up very quickly or seems to have holes in them which I feel is counter productive when I am trying to keep the small metal particles out of my eyes. Can you list what you have successfully used in your shop. I also wear glasses and wear a respirator .

Currently using Dewalt safety goggles and generic face shield.

I wear a full face shield for all of my grinding. I find a face shield indispensable. With grinding, all sorts of debris gets over, under, and around the lens of safety glasses and they fog up so bad in the humidity. This face shield is very, very clear. I never notice I am looking through a protective lens, and it does not distort the view at all.

http://www.amazon.com/Sperian-Prote...1444762818&sr=8-1&keywords=bionic+face+shield

The Spherion face shield is big, but it weighs next to nothing. I wear a baseball cap turned backwards with the shield over that. The baseball cap keeps crap out of my hair as well as makes the faceshield more secure on my head without having to have it tight on my head, which is a big gripe I have with most face shields. The Spherion also fits over top of my half-face respirator if I use the pancake particulate filters, and I can also wear magnifying safety glasses under the shield when I need to see fine details during grinding- like when I am cutting the intial angle on the edge and grinding to my centerline.

For respirators, I find this one to be super comfortable. I wear it all the time and I forget I have it on. It is silicone rather than rubber, which makes it very soft and light and provides a fantastic seal.

http://www.amazon.com/3M-Profession...ds=3m+half+facepiece+reusable+respirator+7500

For grinding, I use the 3M P100 particulate filters. because my face shield covers the filters, they stay clean for a very long time:

http://www.amazon.com/3M-2097-Particulate-Filter-Organic/dp/B00328IAO0/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1444763164&sr=8-3&keywords=3m+half+facepiece+reusable+respirator+7500

Last edited:
Thanks !
I was looking at that exact face shield as a upgrade. I was not sure how it would fit my head but from the description you wrote it should work fine for me.

I also use the sperian full face shield but be warned... the one I ordered from amazon came with this hazy blue plastic shield and not the clear that was shown in the pic. They do sell the clear though.

Doomtooth,

I just ordered this full anti-fog face shield and was reading all the questions listed by Amazon and saw that you can peel off the blue film if you want to. The film is there to give the face shield more scratch resistance. I hope this helps.

Grizzly Bear

John, thanks for the info. I needed some good gear and not the cheap stuff I was buying.

Grizzly Bear

The great thing about this stuff is it's not all that expensive and lasts for years if you take care of it. Way cheaper than a lung transplant or glass eyeball, anyway.

Back