Safety Hint

OOOPS !

Too late on all counts.
Step back before picking up a dropped blade at the grinder....the side of your head and ear will thank you.

Rudy

Don't smack your head against a fire extinguisher trying to open a door with your pinkie and foot while carrying a crock pot roast in to your company's Thanksgiving luncheon. That's what I did yesterday.

Rule #1: Only pick up steel by the cool end.

Rule #2: There may not be a cool end.

Rule number one for the blacksmith "let it drop". When you drop a work piece do not try to catch it with your hand or foot just let it hit the floor.

Something else I learned early. When they get hot, leather gloves can burn you real good before you get them off. OH, and when your MIG welding don't lay the gun in your lap so the trigger is engaged. It can send a hot wire into Johnson.

OH, and when your MIG welding don't lay the gun in your lap so the trigger is engaged. It can send a hot wire into Johnson.

That's pretty dang funny. I've left the gun sitting on top of the welder with the trigger engaged (accidentally) and came back half a minute later with 15-20 ft of wire uncoiled on the floor. But then, who hasn't done that?

Do not grind off 1/4 of your left thumb with a 80 grit Blaze belt, for the third time in one year. Happy Thanksgiving yall

Of all the above, I do believe the most painful for me was cutting myself on the edge of a running mylar belt. It cuts a trough so its hard to get to close! And those 36 grit belts, Blaze or not will sure do a number on a thumb tip or knuckle!

God Bless
Mike

Don't wear tennis shoes when welding. Had a piece of molten metal fall under the tongue where it ii tied and have a scar to prove it. Yes I was dancing a jig like river dance :)

Last edited:
Don't wear tennis shoes when welding. Had a piece of molten metal fall under the tongue where it ii tied and have a scar to prove it. Yes I was dancing a jig like river dance :)

View attachment 44322

Not to make light of your scar, but that made me laugh cuz it happens quite often to me too. I've walked into the house more than once with my shammy shirt smoldering somewhere along the bottom. The queen nonchalantly says...."you're on fire again". I never notice because I breath through a cigarette. Yes, be careful.

Rudy

If holes on the tang have shrunk during Cyro, clamp the blade down with the beveled edge pointing the safer of the two directions.
I had hot shavings land on my ungloved hand and the blade turn into the helicopter of death on the drill press putting a 3 plus cut to the bone along my left index finger.
OUCH!
I did get a compliment from the ER Doctor that stitched me up. You must make very sharp knives mr. Segal. Thats a very clean cut!

Back