Sales question

Brinven

Ok, im not really having much luck with the edge grinding thing, using the 4x36 Harbor Freight sander, so I was thinking about just concentrating on making some handles on some premade blades (in particular the ones Jantz makes here in the US).

This is what I did for my brother in laws knife ( http://knifedogs.com/showthread.php?34264-Starting-with-the-Basics-)&p=275906#post275906 Although thats one from Texas Knifemakers supply) and I was wondering if anyone had any input on those blades (the ones from Jantz) and whether or not they could profitable at all? Obviously I would let any potential customers know the blades aren't hand made, but I was thinking I could sell them cheaper, kind of a "Starter knife" or something? The idea being to make a few pennies towards a "real" grinder :)

Any thoughts?

Very nice work, it looks like you did an excellent job.

Putting handles on and finishing out blades produced elsewhere makes you a "Cutler", and as long as you're honest about the source of the blades your using it's a perfectly honorable profession. Figure the costs of the blades, handle material, pins, adhesives and abrasives, and any other shop costs including leatherworking materials. If you set a modest shop rate of $10.00 an hour to start with and it takes you 5 hours to finish a knife from there you could have a perfectly serviceable product in the hundred dollar range, perhaps a little more depending on the cost of the blade itself. Making $50 profit each it adds up fast to buying better equipment, although the slog to a proper $1000+ 2x72" is a long one. It's definitely profitable and exactly how a lot of people, myself included, got started.

Thanks Frank! The words of wisdom are much appreciated! :) I don't have to earn the entire amount for a "good" grinder, just enough to justify buying one :)

Yes, Many start by assembling kits and some stay at it. Jantz is a reputable company I have dealt with for years for some supplies and I suggest you look right here at the top of the page. Bossdog's, midwest knife maker supply.
They have many quality kits and supplies to chose from and a helpful staff.

Thanks Laurence! The reason I mentioned Jantz specifically was because they have a much larger selection of blades made here in the US, which is important to me. I've made a couple of orders from Midwest, and have been very pleased (In fact Im currently doing up a knife for a buddy's birthday present that will have liners and Kirinte from Midwest on it :) ). Just the fact that Bossdog takes the time/money/energy to run this site would make me use them as much as possible... the added service, quality and price just makes it a no brainer :)

I have made several knives using "store bought" blades, usually patterns someone wanted that I don't have the skill or patience to make (gut-hook skinner, fillet knife). I always make sure everyone knows the blade is store bought; when at a sale, these knives are in their own section of the table, well away from the totally hand made ones. keep at it.
scott

Back