San Mai question

Brad Walker

Hello. This is my first post to the group. Below is a picture of my first attempt at San Mai. (please note, the knife is not finished so the ricasso and handle still need a lot of work/clean up.) It's 15N20 and 1095. I didn't get the contrast that I see on most knives using 15N20. Both steels came from NJSB, so I trust the quality. I first thought was that maybe I mixed up the steels but I clearly remember when I was cleaning up the pieces prior to forge welding that there was a big difference in the 2 pieces of 15N20 and the 1095. My etch mixture is 1 part FC and 1.5 parts water. Any idea on why the steels look almost the same color?

P.S. I'm looking forward to the KITH!!

San Mai.jpg

I know this is a silly question, but have you etched the blade in FeCl yet?

Now, from what I can see, that is a good looking San Mai with the core centered nicely between the two outside layers.

Not sure but dont think the 1095 gets as dark as say 1084 for the contrast? I'm sure someone that knows steels better than I will chime in?

I'm wondering why the 15N20 is so dark. I may be wrong, but I thought the nickle was supposed to resist the etch.

I think you'll need to polish it...
I'd say high grit sand paper and a hard backer.
Yep, you still need to polish/clean the 15N20. I use 5000 grit paper and a g10 flat sanding stick. Depending on how deep the etch is, you have to be careful when you polish (or clean) the 15N20, as you can easily polish off some of the 1095 if you're not careful. The longer/stronger the acid etch, you can see/feel the 'step' between the 15N20 and core steel, and this can make polishing the 15N20 and having more contrast easier.

Back