Sander/grinder combo for beginners

Logrus9

I'd like your thoughts on this unit I found at Sears. I realize it would have limitations, but I'm just starting and I don't want to layout a lot of money on specialty tools.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00980778000P?prdNo=12&blockNo=12&blockType=

00980778000-1

The one thing I would worry about, does the belt stick up far enough from the guards to get your bevels ground with out interfering. I had to remove part of the guard and grind away part of my old 1'x30" sander to grind the blades. This one looks like you may have the same problem. If you can remove the problem area your good to go.

Larry

I'll have to see if any stores have these in stock and take a look.

I thought the grinding wheel would be good for roughing in blades, but after seeing the videos it looks like everyone uses the belts. The Craftsman also seems to have a better selection of belts.

Honestly, I wouldn't get either one of them, but of the two, the sears would be the better. The Sears model is deffinantly under powered and there's a good chance that the other is too. Neither one of them allow for use of the contact wheel which is very handy for more than hollow grinding. Dido on doing slack belt grinding; it can't be done with those machines. It looks like you could grind plunge lines with the Sears unit which you aren't going to be able to do with that first unit.

My advice is that you stick with files and sandpaper until you can put together enough money to get a good belt grinder. Look at Grizzly, Coote, KMG, and the other's out there. Tracy also sells plans and parts for building your own KMG clone. Personally, I think that both of those machines would be a waste of money.

Doug Lester

Tracy is "BossDog", he runs this forum. He also operates USAKnifeMaker, an excellent source for all kinds of things you need to make knives.

I recommend the Craftsman 2x42. It's certainly not a pro grinder but it's not a waste of money either. Watch for sales, they can be had for about $100.

Here are some other threads about it:

2x42 modifications

2x42 belt options Definitely look for better belts than the Craftsman brand, they pretty much suck.

Last edited:
If I was going to get something in this range, I'd get a grizzly 1x42

http://www.grizzly.com/products/1-X-8-Belt-Disc-Sander/H8192

NONE of the "woodworking" 2, 3, 4x sanders will let you do the work you need to on knives.

1/3 HP isn't much on these, and I find them more useful as accessories, but I made a couple dozen knives with a 1/3 HP 1x30 as my only power tool. I did a LOT of hand draw filing.

If you can afford it and don't want to build one, get a coote- 2x48 or 2x72, doesn't matter. You'll have to power it, and I'd suggest a 1hp motor with step pulleys to start.

The no-weld grinder would be a really nice way to go, but having a 1x42 while you are working on that won't be wasted. you'll find a ton os uses for it.

I did grab an old 2x48 direct drive with the grinder wheel (pointless) at a garage sale for $25 and it's handy for some rough work here and there on handle scales and such. it's great to have around, but it's not a knifemaking belt grinder.

I have one like that. The stock tracking mechanism is frustrating, the motor is underpowered, it runs fast and its hard to find the right sized belts.

Attachments

• grinder 22.jpg
    grinder 22.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 39
I own the craftsman I recommended. It was my first "grinder".
I also have two No weld grinders I built. I still use my craftsman on every single knife I make either sanding flats on a hollow grind, getting scales flat, getting bolsters flat,rounding pin stock and I use it to slack belt sharpen all my knives.
Its a valuable tool in my shop and certainly not a waste of money.

I have made several knives using files to remove stock and the craftsman which is definitely not a KMG is 1000 times better then using hand files!:eek:

I'd have to agree with Tod and James 100% on this . Having had a full size 2x72 and needing to downsize , the 2x42 Craftsman was the logical choice . That grinder and belts from Tru-grit and Supergrit can take you far . The transition to the full size is then easy as well , due to the 2" belt size . This set up is for flat grinding though , no real hollow grinding ability . Total with belts , because belts aren't cheap - under $200 . That being said , take a look at Ernie Swanson , he started his grinding and business with this setup . Take a look at my avatar , I made these 2 Henry Bowies made with this setup . Whichever way you go though , we'll be here to help :) .
Good Luck , Bill​

I appreciate all of the input. It's especially good to know that others have started with small units like the Sears one and have turned out good work.

Not much more to add. I use the 2x42 craftsman and I really like it. Yea its real fast (don't use it for wood) but it has helped me out alot.

Back