Sanding Block

Randy Lucius

Found this at a swap meet while on vacation for 8 bucks. It's about a foot long so I cut it in half to use as a hand sanding block. It has the right firmness to make a good block and enough "give" to get into the plunge line very nicely too. Found some on Ebay for around 8 dollars. J-hooks were driving me crazy but using this with Rhynoweet sand paper and synthetic motor oil has all but eliminated J-hooks. Does a nice job on the final straight pulls too.

block_e.jpg

That looks really interesting. I’ve been using the same piece of brass bar stock and a strip of leather for about 5 years now. I keep telling myself to find something better but I never look.

This looks handy dandy.

I have hardwood blocks 3/4 x 3/4 and about 5 inches long. Have been using them for years and like how they allow for rapid changing of face to keep sharp paper at work.

I have hardwood blocks 3/4 x 3/4 and about 5 inches long. Have been using them for years and like how they allow for rapid changing of face to keep sharp paper at work.
This is actually just a firm rubber block that I wrap my paper around. The block itself is not abrasive.

I’ve used these dura-blocks before in the last machine shop I worked in. I really liked using them on the aluminum parts we were polishing and assume I would also like them for knives...

This is actually just a firm rubber block that I wrap my paper around. The block itself is not abrasive.
I do the same with my hardwood block. I cut the sheets of wet and dry into four strips and do so to 10 sheets so I have a stack of strips in the drawer in partitioned areas with coarse at the front and finer toward the rear so no coarse grit gets in with the finer papers.
With a strip wrapped round the hardwood block I can sand and unwrap as I go to keep fresh paper ready to sand with.

I have found that the 5 gallon bucket paint stirs from home depot work pretty well. I have a small block similar to this, not sure if it's the same manufacturer that I picked up at an automotive paint store. I like it a lot, but it's about 3x6 size. I cut it in half and use it that way. I use the paint stirs for sanding a lot too.

I use a piece of 1 inch square tube about 18 inches long. I wrap about a 2 inch wide (11 inches long) strip of paper around the center of it and hold that in place with a magnet. As I use up the paper I simply turn to a new side. When the sides are used up I tear off enough paper to expose clean grit and move on.

Well, ya'll just cost me more money. Placed an order from Cliff's ebay link above, this block actually: https://www.ebay.com/itm/283291925894

I've been using a wood block with leather strip on bottom and Rhynoweet sand paper wrapped around and synthetic motor oil (what other way to sand?).

Ken H>

Back