Sanding Disk Help

Due to limited funds im wanting to make my own disk sander and have been looking at the disk online but im confused on what is better steel or aluminum, and who has the best price on this disk, it will be used to shape knife handles and to remove wood on long bows, thanks for any and all help, Irish.

Due to limited funds im wanting to make my own disk sander and have been looking at the disk online but im confused on what is better steel or aluminum, and who has the best price on this disk, it will be used to shape knife handles and to remove wood on long bows, thanks for any and all help, Irish.

I'm not sure who has the "best" price. That all depends on what type of disc you get. Here are two makers I'd recommend. They may be more than what you want to pay right now, but I can tell you from experience, pay for it once and be done with it.

Rob Neilson's Interchangeable Disc

Also, Beaumont Metal Works has some disc...

9" Disk Grinders

Im going to go with steel when i find someone who has them in stock, seems everyone is out of stock, thanks for the help and links, Irish.

Tracy has the flat disk in stock at http://usaknifemaker.com/grinders-sanders-all-kinds-c-99/grinder-parts-contact-wheels-c-99-60.html. Check with Beth at Beth Holzapfel [beth.usakms@gmail.com] if you want the bevel disk and see when they will be available.

Without a doubt Rob Neilson's Interchangeable Disc is the top of the line. You will spend more money but have a much more versitile machine. You also want to decide if you want variable speed via a VFD. Call me or send me an e-mail if you want to order this system or just want to talk about it.

Sorry Rod, I just cut an pasted the link that DonL had posted. I should have looked closer.

Sorry Rod, I just cut an pasted the link that DonL had posted. I should have looked closer.

Wow, that must have been before my nap or something. Not only did I spell your last name wrong, I also got your first name wrong. My apologies. That's what I get for speed linking... :eek:

Back