Sanding Stones???????

wmhammond

Hey guys, I've been hearing about some material called sanding stones intended for hand sanding knives. Suposidly comes in grits from 60 - 2200 and is used with an oil that is provided with them. Any body know about them or know where to source them? Thanks

Wallace

AKA EDM stones.

I have some. I use in the plunge area for cleaning up my boo-boo. hard to beat sand paper for the large areas.

now I don't even sand my blades. The best i can do on the belt grinder is the best it's gonna get...

Thanks, man, have you ever used these and if you have how do they work and what do I need to know about them? Thanks

Wallace

I bought a set of 30 some stones, different types and grits. I thought they'd be great. I hardly ever use them. Haven't used them in years and last time I did, it wasn't for knifemaking but gunsmithing.

IMO, sandpaper wrapped around a shaped backer of choice works WAY better. And paper leaves a smoother, finer finish in my experience. A 320 grit stone looks like a 120 grit paper finish to me.

I use the stones to clean up the stubborn area in the plunge, once I get the deep scratches out with them I go back to sandpaper on a hard backer

I grabbed a 2" wide sharpening stone to blend out a gouge on a plungless knife the other day and it worked well. I was able to come back over it with 320 and was less than 15 min. to fix.
I'm not sure if the edm stones wear faster than sharpening stones. I'd like to try them still. I could see various grits and sizes of diamond sharpeners working too. The thing I liked about the sharpening stone was it's size (2"x8" cheap smith's) because it offered a large grip.

I have some SC stones that I like quite a bit. They do wear quickly, but that's a good thing as you always have fresh grit for polishing. I've been toying with the idea of getting one of reciprocating/ultrasonic polishers to speed things up a bit, but the good ones are prohibitively expensives. That said, I know of at least a couple of makers that use them quite effectively.

EDM stones come in various hardnesses as well ad different grits. Some of the softer stones in courser grits can conform to the shape of the blade rather quickly. I have some down in the basement somewhere and I don't use them anymore.

Doug

The EDM stones I bought have to be soaked in kerosene or they load up. While I thought they worked pretty well they are a hassle to use. I found less need for them as I got better on the grinder.

Back