Sandpaper for those white handles

rhinoknives

We have had a few threads lately with newer makers :sad: "with good reason" about their light or white colored handle woods/materials getting black smeared crud on them from the paper and belts.

I and others had mentioned using white or garnet wood working papers to avoid the smear smutz from black wet & dry papers.

I had a 12 x 12" x 3/8" slab of white C-Tek and was low on white papers and started poking around the internet looking for some stuff.

I have found some great fairly new paper for this application and perhaps all handle work.

"Its a heat treated ceramic paper from Norton.Faster working and longer lasting than conventional sandpaper, Norton ProSand sanding sheets offer superior performance and a flawless surface finish. Their premium P-graded aluminum oxide abrasive gives you a quick cut with less pressure, and a smooth, consistent finish on all types of materials, including primed and painted surfaces. Will not clog, tear or transfer color. Available in a full range of grits. 9'' x 11'' sheet size.
  • Premium heat-treated abrasive offers faster cut and longer sanding life than 3X technology
  • Heat treating toughens the grain, allowing it to stay sharp and last longer under extreme pressure, and making it the most durable abrasive on the market
  • Super sharp edges allow grain to remove material faster
  • Increased backing weight, fiber-reinforcement and latex saturation offers better grain retention and tear-resistance, yet is highly flexible for easy folding and unfolding
  • Non-pigemented water-based stearate (anti-clog) coating
  • Open coat for best resistance to clogging and loading during sanding
  • No color dye in coating process so there's no chance of color transfer to workpiece
  • Ideal for smoothing and finishing wood as well as stripping metal, paint, rust and corrosion"

So far, I'm impressed with this stuff! I bought the 220 G & 400 G and plan to use the 3m Micron papers after that. I'l post a pic of this monster Chef knife with the white C-Tek handle when I'm done.

http://www.rockler.com/norton-prosand-sandpaper-20-packs I'm sure its available from other places.

sandpaper ordered - looks good and a decent price. I also ordered a small piece of Zebra wood to make $25 for free shipping.

Ken H>

I'm really happy with the paper on the white handle work and it seems to cut & finish well in blade hand sanding. More soon.

Back