Scottish Sgian Dubh

Thanks Bruce! When you going to try some antler?
Soon, I hope. Got elk antler and elk buttons, deer antler and buttons, cow horns, goat horns and some others that I'm not even sure of. Gotta order the permangate. Life is so busy for us old retired (?) Farmers.! "The faster I go, the behinder I get!"

Beautiful knife. I have gotten requests for these, and not knowing anything about them I have looked up countless images and cannot seem to find which attributes are common among sgian dubh.

Are the any, or will any small knife work as a “sock knife”!

What I have found out is the knives are generally at or under 6” in length with a ~3” blade. The handle is slim. The spine is not sharpened and some examples have false swages. Typically there is file work on the spine. Some have multiple pins as decorations. The traditional handle material is bog oak but I think ABW and Wenge both make nice handles. The bolster on some are silver with filigree work. I’m working on another design that will be more pointy.
I’ll post up a photo of the long axis in a bit.
They are fun to make!
Some of the early ones before they got fancy were handled in elk or deer antler
Most that you see for sale are for show only with plastic handles and sheaths. The more authentic ones fetch a good price.

What I have found out is the knives are generally at or under 6” in length with a ~3” blade. The handle is slim. The spine is not sharpened and some examples have false swages. Typically there is file work on the spine. Some have multiple pins as decorations. The traditional handle material is bog oak but I think ABW and Wenge both make nice handles. The bolster on some are silver with filigree work. I’m working on another design that will be more pointy.
I’ll post up a photo of the long axis in a bit.
They are fun to make!
Some of the early ones before they got fancy were handled in elk or deer antler
Most that you see for sale are for show only with plastic handles and sheaths. The more authentic ones fetch a good price.

This is great info, thank you! That's the common thing that I hear when someone asks for one- they can't find one for sale that isn't a cheap trinket. So far I've shied away from making them because I am totally ignorant on what an authentic one is.

Here are a couple of good sites for reference
Rainnea.com/Sgian-kits.htm
I looked at them...They are Scottish Puukkos basically...The handles on the first site are just plain cool with the carved knots and such. Can you provide a phonetic spelling I hate sounding ignorant?

Last edited:
I looked at them...They are Scottish Puukkos basically...The handles on the first site are just plain cool with the carved knots and such. Can you provide a phonetic spelling I hate sounding ignorant?
I've read quite a bit on these knives but still just a novice.
According to folk lure, good Highlander manners required all weapons to be left outside during household visits. They left their dirks and swords outside but no good Highlander would be without out a weapon so they secreted this little dagger in their clothes, men and women alike. I believe the word Dubh means dark or black, thus something to be hidden. It also may be a description of the handles which were made from black bog oak.
I believe in the early days the handles were more plain and even antler was used to make the handles. They begin to go upscale after the uprising when the King would not allow the Highlanders to have weapons. Eventually this restriction was lifted and the little daggers begin to become more ceremonial and ornate and evolved to what we see today for sale. But most of these are for show and are not legitimate knives in the sense that they are heat treated and can be sharpened, etc. Black molded plastic for the handles to represent bog oak and black knife sheaths to represent horn.

I like the incorporation of coins into your knives and sheaths. I hope you can post the picture.
I'll post up some pictures but it's not going to reveal much. I left the Lincoln memorial just barely visible, ghosting as some would say just as a conversation should it ever be brought up.
One thing I found out that I should have known. Pennies were about 95% copper until around 1983 and since are only copper cladding.

I've read quite a bit on these knives but still just a novice.
According to folk lure, good Highlander manners required all weapons to be left outside during household visits. They left their dirks and swords outside but no good Highlander would be without out a weapon so they secreted this little dagger in their clothes, men and women alike. I believe the word Dubh means dark or black, thus something to be hidden. It also may be a description of the handles which were made from black bog oak.
I believe in the early days the handles were more plain and even antler was used to make the handles. They begin to go upscale after the uprising when the King would not allow the Highlanders to have weapons. Eventually this restriction was lifted and the little daggers begin to become more ceremonial and ornate and evolved to what we see today for sale. But most of these are for show and are not legitimate knives in the sense that they are heat treated and can be sharpened, etc. Black molded plastic for the handles to represent bog oak and black knife sheaths to represent horn.
Very cool info, thanks

I didn't know it was that late. I would have thought a little earlier around the fifty's or sixties.
[/If your Lincoln Memorial penny has a date before 1982, it is made of 95% copper. If the date is 1983 or later, it is made of 97.5% zinc and plated with a thin copper coating. For pennies dated 1982, when both copper and zinc cents were made, and best way to determine their composition is to weigh them.

Back