seax with a story

kevin - the professor

Hello Everyone,

This is a 10" blade in the broken-back style, with a bit of Owen Bush's styling (the, "Kentish Notch").

The steel is Aldo's 1075 and 15n20. It has about 400 layers. Handle is walnut.

This blade has a story. A couple of years ago, Mannlicher asked me to make a seax for him, as a companion to a langseax that I made for him previously. I agreed and we settled upon a design and price. Then... well, life happened. People died, I got a divorce, things went bad. So I contacted Mannlicher and told him that I would not be able to fulfill the obligation and that he should ask someone else to make it.

He didn't want anyone else to make it (thanks for that!). Here was what we came up with - the next time I made a seax, I would give it to him for his trouble. Yes, give it to him. I do not want to be known as the guy who backs out of orders. Sam has been a top-of-the-line customer, and he deserves to be treated well.

I hope he likes this one. It is his, if he wants it! (in fact, he suggested the traditional rounded handle with little adornment but copper to match the previous one).

Thanks for looking,

Kevin

DSC03847.jpg

DSC03848.jpg

DSC03836.jpg

DSC03844.jpg

Back