Second Knife Done

marshaap

Finally got my second knife done. Whitetail Antler handle, damascus blade, buffalo horn cap, and stainless steel spacer. Let me know what you think and if you have any pointers for the next one let me know.

photo1.jpg

photo11.jpg

photo14.jpg

looks really good especially for your second. I like the shape and gnarly antler handle - very distinctive. Interesting that you chose to flare out edge at heel instead of adding a choil or sharpening notch- personal pref there- looks nice though.

I can't take credit for the blade I bought it online. I am planning to make a forge so I don't have to buy anymore blades but still being in school makes the budget pretty tight (both time and money lol). The backside of the antler is slightly palmated and fits perfectly in the palm of your hand. The buffalo horn is left over from my first knife build. Here is another picture.

photo26.jpg

I still have plenty of room to grow but its a start. I'm pumped that it turned out the way that it did.

Great looking knife!

I too enjoy using the "Odd" shaped handles, its amazing just how some of them fit the hand perfectly.

Keep at it, working with premade blades gives you a platform to work off of and figure out symetry and handles as well as construction techniques.
many a maker started just as you are. Keep posting!!

God Bless
Mike

way, way, way, way better than my second knife. My second knife looked like a butter knife with a stacked leather handle. I ground the point off somewhat because I am not very smart.

Here is one hint that will help a lot.

If you post your pictures on something like Picasa, you can then generate a link to the image (make sure you generate a link to the full size image, and use the "image only, no link," option.

Then, when you type your post, when you get to the point where you want to add a picture, go to the toolbar and you will see an icon for, "insert image." click on that, make sure it is expecting you to insert one from a url, and then paste the image code in you got from picasa. I say Picasa because its free and doesn't give the advertisements and crap of photobucket.

This will put the picture directly in your post, and it makes it so that you don't have to deal with trying to click on a thumbnail and open it to see it.

Also, if you type your post with the pics inserted this way, you can copy the entire post before you submit it. You can then post the same basic thing on any other forum you use, and the images and everything will be there automatically. So, if you post on a couple of forums, you can get your initial post done easily for each new knife on the second forum.

Last thing, if you take closer pics, we may be able to give some helpful hints. Although, you seem to be off and running. There are always tips that we can share among ourselves.

hope you don't mind the suggestions. They are just suggestions. If you look around, you will notice pretty much everyone else posts this way. It took me 3 years to figure it out.

take care,

Kevin

Thanks for all the information and tips.

Rhino - I've got one of those on the budget too I just haven't figured out which maker I want to go with yet.

Diamond - Thanks for the info and support.

Kevin - Thanks I was trying to figure out how to post like that. And the suggestions are welcome keep 'em coming. You all know a lot more about the forum and making knives than I do so if you have suggestions I'll gladly take them.

Austin

Back