security

Game cameras are another option, they can be placed on trees above eye level or hidden in all kinds of places to catch people coming or going, including license plates. no flash UV too so you can't see any flash when they go off. most have a little red led that blinks when their activated but black electrical tape hides that.
Moultrie has some out now that will send the pictures they take to your phone with plans starting at somewhere around $5.00 a month.

So, if you want to put together your own camera system, here is at least one suggestion. Milestone is a video server company that has a free home version of their software. You can put up to 8 cameras on their system for free. After that, they start charging for the licenses for the cameras. The cheapest cameras I've found for use on Milestone are Hikvision cameras. You can find them fairly cheaply at B&H Photo. I would recommend running Cat5E or Cat6 cable, and using Power over Ethernet (POE) to power the cameras. You can buy a POE network switch fairly cheaply also. You can put together a fairly good system for a few hundred bucks. There are DVR systems that you can get at Costco, etc. that are in the same price range, but about all of them use proprietary systems that lock you into their company for any changes, maintenance, etc. The Milestone software can be found at https://www.milestonesys.com/solutions/platform/try-our-software/xprotect-free-download/.

You will also need a computer to run as your video server, but this can be done fairly cheaply also. A cheap mini-computer with an external hard drive would suffice.

Anybody that can figure out how to make a knife can figure out how to put together a video system. It's not rocket surgery.

Last edited:
I just spent some time re-reading this - I copied and pasted a lot of your advise to a word document so I can start sorting out the info and researching what I need for a security system. I'm getting the picture of how they work.

A lot of whats going on in your towns is going on here. In my situation there's no police. I have to make it hard and "no fun" to bother the house.

Last edited:
One other thing that I mentioned earlier, there are large pepper gas containers available on the market, like 6 oz.
these can be place at entry points and set to go off with trip wires....and they work.
when Terminex tents a house for termites they post some pretty convincing signs - poisonous gas - with skull and cross bones.
that might be an effective deterrent to see a couple of those signs and seconds later hear gas canisters going off.

One other thing that I mentioned earlier, there are large pepper gas containers available on the market, like 6 oz.
these can be place at entry points and set to go off with trip wires....and they work.
when Terminex tents a house for termites they post some pretty convincing signs - poisonous gas - with skull and cross bones.
that might be an effective deterrent to see a couple of those signs and seconds later hear gas canisters going off.
I thought about mentioning something similar, but in many areas such devices are against the law. If the OP were to consider something like this I think it would be best to check with law enforcement first.

I know...what a pain. I wish myself it were simpler than that.

Back