Selling knives

Well,I'm certainly following all of this. I still only go with the folder making almost 100% as I want it to be and am often driven by a customers desires that are a pick up on my work. Time in the making is never a concern but the use of quality materials be they natural or man made is always a concern. I'm saying this just to indicate I'm looking at making more of what I would call more mid price folders very much in an "easy open easy close back pocket style" not unlike a slip joint but with a liner locking system. No, it's nothing brilliant and to me reduces the folder to simplicity for the maker and customer when a lot of the usual liner locking add ons are eliminated. It seems to me the demand for the fancy, very heavily worked, with very expensive materials is slowing back and as well the slip joints are increasing in popularity. Yes, of course I like the liner locks a bit more than the slip joints and that is the reason I want to stay with their making. I'm not going to the water jet cutters for this. It is still to be a one at a time as I want since it isn't a needed full time thing.
I have added these ramblings hear just to stay involved and let you know your comments and experiences are very much appreciated. By the way being reminded to control myself on anything that is controversial was a great wake up call. Not many can be as forgiving or friendly as members here.
Frank

I've been going to knife shows and comparing where I am to what I see for sale and I think there's some room for me to go up.

John, I recently went to a gun and knife show and there were a couple custom makers there and couple collectors that had customs too. I looked at their knives, never told them I was a maker too, and I looked at their prices. Now, I am not saying I'm a good at this, I'm still a big time newb, but I couldn't believe some of the prices. One I looked over pretty close was tactical/combat style fixed blade for $475. The jimping wasn't evenly spaced, the scales were thicker on one side than the other, the choil had an obvious taper to one side, the finish was uneven, the hardware looked cheap, very plain sheath, etc. I just kept thinking, wow, my $125 hunters are way nicer than this. I'd like to get $475 for my stuff, but I'll bet that guy sits on that knife forever waiting on a sale. I think I'm very content to make $125-$150 hunting knives for a long time to come. Heck, I'm still shocked every time somebody buys one from me. Got to pinch myself!

We are very similar in many regards.

I can tell you this- you are selling too cheap. Your work is better than mine, and I say that because I look at every knife you post. You do nice work. I was at that price point very recently and after seeing the same stuff at shows like you mentioned, I immediately went to $200 and nobody has blinked.

I can't believe what people are charging either, but I also don't know if they're getting it. I don't mean the top notch stuff, I mean the stuff that is obviously rough. I'm not that bold- and that may be my problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A very fine knife making friend whom I'm helping to get into making liner locks suggested he could help me get started in Face Book. He claims it is simple enough to navigate that even I should be able to manage it. I believed he was sincerely trying to find me a place that might allow me to find a sale or two but didn't realize there could be more than that. Any suggestions as to an approach? Perhaps just get started, with help, and then go slow? Thanks.
Frank
Dive in Frank! I did not have a personal Facebook account until 2 years ago I just didn't want to mess with it and heck I'm 33. Now I'm on it daily and have found a lot of cool stuff, I get to showcase my knives on my knife account and it's great.
If you need anything I would be happy to help.
JP

Selling on Instagram still kind of stumps me. I've only been on there a short time, but no one has even remotely implied interest in buying from me through that service. I notice Justin and some other makers are using the # symbol to link to all kinds of stuff, but I haven't figured that part out yet. Need to find a teenager to explain it to me I guess. FB, on the other hand, is where I generate almost all of my sales. I don't have thousands of friends on there, but when you sell to somebody and they share with their friends it opens up your customer base exponentially. The last knife I sold was to someone across the country that I did not know, but he found me through mutual friends. Crazy.

I think good photography is one of the most important tools on any of these sites. I'm not very good at it, but I really think good pics cause people to slow down and take a look. Some makers post pics that make their work look really amateur. Unlike John, I do share prices freely. I think it keeps the tire kickers from bothering you so much and gives people an idea of how custom knives are priced.
I'm no teenager but maybe I can shead some light. I have yet to sell anything on instagram but I have yet to post one for sell.
The # at first I thought were dumb but the more I use them the more I understand how important from a maker or company stand point they are. On my skinning hunting knives I have started using #huntingknife #hunting and some others, so let's say Joe Q types in on his instagram search for a hunting knife, my knife will pop up for him to see along with anyone else who has used the hash tag #huntingknife .
For me it's about reaching the most people possible. Otherwise if you do not # anything the only people who will see your post is people who follow you.
Hope that makes sense.

Thanks, for that Justin.
I may still be months away from going there and I'm looking at some major life changes that may not allow me to stay in the knife making.
Frank

Thanks, for that Justin.
I may still be months away from going there and I'm looking at some major life changes that may not allow me to stay in the knife making.
Frank

I most certainly hope that doesn't end up being the case. It would truly be a travesty!

Chris

Thanks, for that Justin.
Frank

Frank, As you may remember I was looking at that myself from the amount of nerve damage, arthritis etc in my hands and arms had me thinking that making knives was over about a year ago. Things have improved and I am able to make some, without inflaming my pains to such a disabling amount.

I am looking at have others grind for me as well. There are many ways to skin a cat and I can tell you personally that I have found that there is more to life than just knives!;)

Thanks for the show of support.
A few months and I will know better what I may or may not do.
I am trying at this time to pretty much continue in a manner where the future for me and the knives will be positive.
Frank

Back