semi-skinner

Squawsach

I finally finished another knife. This one is 9" OAL with a 3/16" O1 blade. The handle is some sort of stabilized wood. The file work is a new pattern for me and it really tested my file skills.

chainwork001_zpsdbc7a06e.jpg

chainwork007_zps154df72e.jpg

chainwork016_zps30a05e93.jpg

chainwork009_zps85a53813.jpg

Looks like an excellent skinner. Great job all around.

Very cool file pattern. Looks like a tedious project but well worth it.

Super knife there gary, I'd say that is maple wood .

PS: and I posted it on FB the other day.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the kind words. Art and Ausbrooks, I thought it was maple also. I have worked with stabilized maple quite a bit but I have doubts after working down the handle. It was much harder than any maple I have worked with. Maybe it was stabilized differently than the other stuff I have worked with. I hope I come across more of this. It was a pleasure to work with and it looks nice for a nonburl type of wood.

Found it. I bought the block at Wood Craft and lost the package. The wood the spalted tamarind. I never heard of it before.

http://www.woodcraft.com/product/20...tabilized-1-x-112-x-5-knife-scale-1piece.aspx

Great looking blade. In regards to spalted tamarind... its a pleasure to work with and it finishes well, especially when stabilized correctly. The heart wood tends to be harder and look better, especially when spalted for a while. Here is a shot of brush I turned from some of the better stuff I've owned.

530095A9-5056-A338-C827275254143A4D.jpg

Last edited:
That brush looks great. The piece of tamarind I bought at Wood Craft was stabilized very well. It cut great with a file, sanded very nicely, and polished well. I have worked with some "stabilized" wood before that didn't seem all that stabilized. Some of the stabilized wood from Jantz Supply didn't act very stabilized.

How do I get a brush? I shave with a straight razor and a good brush is nice to have.

Back