serrations?

Joetrain

I am working on a knife right now and I am toying with the idea of putting serrations on the top of the blade. Any pros or cons people know of? Also, is there any preferred method of doing it?

Generally,
If you are making a 50/50 edge, The ideal area to put the serrations is towards the heel of the blade to bite into heavy rope etc, while cutting and leave the forward 50 a plain edge for any finer cutting chores. You can try putting them on the spine but I personally don't think its a good idea to have sharp cutting areas facing you and your hands. Perhaps on some kind of fighter knife?

Serrations can be made with hand files, usually Diamond coated , Carbide burrs or a set serrated pattern grinding stone.

That all depends on your money & craftsmanship level.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Cool, I have one old survival knife I've used for years to clean deer with and it has a sawblade type serration on the spine of the blade. I've always found it very useful for cutting up game in the field, so i was thinking something along those lines. I guess maybe serrations is not the proper term for what I have in mind. It's more a sawback blade maybe?

Back