sewing machine?

bluegrass in ga

Ok, I've hand stitched and used a tippmann boss. Obviously the tippmann wins for me. So heres my question. I'm funding a kmg grinder right now and I don't have couple thousand laying around. So can you can guys tell me if there is a good sewing machine that will sew sheaths for less than 300.00 any ideas would be great. Also for you guys that can hand stitch a sheath and make it look better than a machine, could you guys post up some pics and info showing how you do it, how you end your stitches, what thread and awls you use, etc. My inexperience in hand stitching makes for an ugly sheath. Thanks Danny

Last edited:
Most used machines in that price range won't have a heavy enough needle bar for sheaths. Wouldn't hurt to start your research now on what you want as you build funds. Good luck in your search.

Buy the book "The Art of Hand Sewing Leather" by Al Stohlman. It can be found at Tandy Leather and many of the knife suppliers websites. The book will show you how to do it - practice will show you how to do it well.

I have to agree with that book, great resource. As far as a machine goes, $300 is awful low for a decent machine,that said,I would scour Craigslist, and look at Leatherworker.net.Occasionly you can find someone going out of business, thats ready to deal.Dave

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php??

Most used machines in that price range won't have a heavy enough needle bar for sheaths. Wouldn't hurt to start your research now on what you want as you build funds. Good luck in your search.

Robin is right on the money with his post. The least expensive and reliable machines that will do the job start at about $2000 (New) and the used market is slim and priced very closely. The Artisan 3000 model at about $2000 is only about $500 or so more than the Tippman retail to retail.

Paul

Back