SHARPENING KNIVES

HELLGAP

Dealer - Purveyor
I have taken up sharpening knives and I have learned alot in the past week. I have sharpen mine no problem but they are good steel. Now I see what crap is whats decent and so on. I sharpened a D2 skinner tonight It really took an edge quite well it had a fantastic polish but had a gut hook from hell. What I mean is some guys think they only need to make the hook like a wedge like a planer knife. WRONG they pull off to one side and eat big fat turds. I have made all mine like a knife blade and they work excellent. I also did a 75 year old knife at leat made in the usa by the ontario knife company steel one of the finest old butcher knifes Ive ever seen or sharpened its actually hollow ground. I done some 440c they take an edge pretty good and never a problem to shave with it after sharpening. Did a knife from china well ya that said it all it would be a simular steel to aus 8a steel not great in my opinion. Ill show a picture on the butcher knife tommorow.I done several in 1095 I have another 20 to sharpen tommorrow. kellyw

Welcome to what can be a very frustrating experience. The problem with most "crap" knives is either the steel is too soft so it rolls and won't hold an edge, or if it's hard enough the temper/grain size is wrong and it'll chip. I've come to the conclusion that 600 grit is about all they're worth going to.

BTW - I don't have much time for gut-hooks, but if it works for you......

Antonio here is a hot tip of the week cratex bullet abrasive rubber to sharpen gut hooks. I hear you about the 600 grit I found 500 structured abrasive was working really good. I hope this guy buys just one of my knives so he can see the difference between high quality stainless and low end tool steel. Some of his knives were good but Ide hate to see what he paid for them .

Back