Sheath for the Sgian Dubh

For some reason I had that thing pictured with a "boot knife" type guard...Your way looks much better. The sheath is great too.

For some reason I had that thing pictured with a "boot knife" type guard...Your way looks much better. The sheath is great too.
Not sure what that is, I'll have to look it up. From what I've read about the small Scottish daggers (Sgian Dubh) they were carried/tucked into the top of the socks traditionally worn with a kilt. Ever since I saw Highlander, I've been interested in learning more about the weapons the Highlanders carried. Of course :) , you know, Claire was given and taught how to use the Sgian Dubh. She dispatched a would be rapist with it. Anyway all sorts of mystic around the dirks and daggers. From what I've read the Dubh means black, since a lot of the dagger handles were made out of bog oak. But then again another tale is since it was carried concealed the Dubh meant dark as in not seen.
Anyway lots of fun with these.

In your original post you titled it "small dagger" which I paired with boot knife on my own. Its just a regular T guard that sweeps up a little on each side. Like I said yours looks much better than a boot knife. I like making historic blades too, after I did my Seax I have kind of been looking for things like a dirk to make. I never realized there were so many different "blade types" in history until I started researching.

In your original post you titled it "small dagger" which I paired with boot knife on my own. Its just a regular T guard that sweeps up a little on each side. Like I said yours looks much better than a boot knife. I like making historic blades too, after I did my Seax I have kind of been looking for things like a dirk to make. I never realized there were so many different "blade types" in history until I started researching.
Got it :). I have a Dirk in progress but I haven't worked on it lately. I'm re-watching Highlander and it's amazing what you see when you start looking. I hope to get the Dirk build up and running again soon. Here is a photo that I had posted earlier.

Got it :). I have a Dirk in progress but I haven't worked on it lately. I'm re-watching Highlander and it's amazing what you see when you start looking. I hope to get the Dirk build up and running again soon. Here is a photo that I had posted earlier.
I like that shape. Are Dirks double edged?

I like that shape. Are Dirks double edged?
From what I have read only one side is sharpened. Many Dirks, back in the day, were actually made from broken swords. So I guess they could have been. After the Jacobite uprisings dirks, daggers etc we’re outlawed. Once they were allowed again they took on more of a dress, ornamental role.

Another shape that is on my mind for some reason is a Gladius. I think the blade shape is neat for a machete type tool. Not so much the handle, though it looks like it will stay in your hand.

Back