Sheath Positioning

David Wesner

What are your rules on the position of a sheath in relation to the body ?

For instance, when I make a "vertical hanging belt sheath" I try to end up with a loop that is equal to, or just a bit below the handle of the sheathed knife.
Reason being, I've found that a sheath that positions the handle too high above the belt tends to poke me in the ribs when moving around, bending, sitting etc.

I understand a sheath that hangs too low can also get in the way.

What are your thoughts when considering sheath design and end positioning, for vertical belt sheaths, angled sheaths, horizontal/concealed carry type, etc. ?

unsure

Good topic.I typically for my knives, try to keep the handle about 1"-1 1/2" above the belt.But since I do sheaths for others,I have found that varies alot.Two of my best customers are totally opposite, one likes them very hi-ride and the other likes his an 1" or two below the belt.Dave 2thumbs

We'll I'm still a newb in this arena so my answer is JUST ASK DCknives ! LOL.

Seriously though It is a personal matter to the owner of the sheath however the size and intended use of the knife is a determining factor IMHO. Longer blades need to ride lower on the belt so it's not difficult to remove and insert knife into sheath.

My very first knife and sheath was a kit knife 3 1/2" clip point hunter. Due to the length of the blade and shortness of the handle I chose to make the sheath a bit of a high ride for several reasons.
First- due to the size the rib poking wasn't really an issue.
Second- It was full tang 440C and mirror polished and a little bit of high ride made the handle easily concealable under a t-shirt or waist length coat. No hunter wants anything hanging on his belt that can cause a glare or reflect sunlight !

This may sound a little silly and it is but wrap the body of the sheath around the knife and hold it up to my side to get an idea of where it FEELS right.

Hope this helps, but when all else fails just run over to Dave's and have him take a look, LOL. Dang I'm lucky !

-Josh

Looks like y'all about got it covered here, like Dave I do about ever carry style depending on what the customer wants.

Even those 12" Bowies occasionally get a high ride sheath.

I'd like to throw in my two cents for what it is worth. I have not made many sheathes but have found that I will not carry a knive that I need to bend myself over to resheath. Hunters/ skinners I will allow to ride high. On knives with blades up to 5" max I like to see the belt pass about the lower 1/3 of the handle. But a camp knife needs to ride below the belt. Say 5"-8" blades I like the belt to be about even with the top. I have a 10" bowie that hangs 2 to 3 inches below the belt and straps on just above the knee.

Thanks for the input guys.

In the above mentioned scenario, I guess it all comes down to personal preference.

On a side note, (this also has to do with sheath positioning) over the past year or so I've had several requests for one of my Chopper sheaths and a couple Camp Knife sheaths to be made for horizontal belt carry, on the backside of the belt, just above the butt.
All of the knives are what I would consider to be, BIG knives, with OAL's of 14"...... or more.
Has there been a recent movie where the main character carries his knife this way or what ? IMO, carrying a knife that size would seem cumbersome. I see no problems with a small boot knife, or utility/hunter knife being carried this way, but something 14" long just doesn't seem practical to me ............... unsure.
In every case I've pointed this fact out to the customer but, in the end, they've been adamant about wanting what they want.
You know the saying............. "the customer is always right".

Any of you guys ever run into this situation, and if so,
are my thoughts on the subject way off here ?

I've "test drove" each and every one, but only for a minute or 5.
Is it indeed a good way to carry a large knife for the day, or does it eventually become a hassle and/or uncomfortable ?

Again, Thanks !

:cool:

Scout style carry seems to be the new thing right now. It started around the time of the original Tracker. That guy, cant remember his name, has or had a survival school where he highly recommended the knife and scout style carry. That or it might have been a required purchase.

David,I run into it all the time.I give my customer my opinion on what he wants and if he still wants his design ,I make it unless, it's dangerous.You did your part, you told them.
This is one for a big knife in the small of the back,and while I wasn't real happy with the design, the customer loved it.Dave

phillssheath1.jpg

Back