Shipping for steel

Quote "Why? Because its extremely frustrating, time consuming and expensive to make knives from steel you think is one thing but its actually something entirely different or behaves in a way that it shouldn't."

So are we talking HT numbers not coming in consistent like you've always experienced? Since I've invested to fully HT my stainless including a RH tester I've noticed I'm sure coming back with huge disappointments and swear I'm not getting the steel I ordered. To the point I've spent even more money to prove my equipment is dead nuts on. Or cosmetic flaws like inclusions, pits etc.

If it's HT numbers how are professional Heat Treaters dealing with this?

I'll admit I have probably more knowledge building fiberglass laminated traditional bows than knives. The quality of clear fiberglass was one of the reasons I got out of it. As builders we was told that the traditional bow building market was such a small part of the fiberglass manufacturing that they didn't care they was offering sub standard materials, get use to it as they had no plans to improve it. Really disappointing to pick beautiful wood to make lams, invest the time and money to make precision lams, use expensive glue etc. Only to pull the protective tape off the limbs after they've came out of the oven for 6 hours just to see big white lines running down a beautiful figured limb.

I suspect the knife steel manufacturing business is a lot like this. A really small part of their total business.

Back