Shop apron

I have looked at that one before and it looks like a decent investment! Some times you have to look at tools we use as just that an investment!

I actually have two I use the one is heavy denim type material about knee length! It works good to give you some coverage on the messy side of things while knife making, yet it is light enough to tolerate in the shop in the summer!

The other is from top to bottom and it is a suede/leather to facilitate the hot stuff from penetrating!

My first denim apron caught on fire a couple of times. Now I am not saying burst into flame but, when you are busy grinding and you smell something burning,.................well! I stopped,lifted up my hood and began to look around and see the little wiffs of smoke is coming out of my shirt! The sparks had burned into the denim and even though the denim was not really wanting to burn good the cotton T-shirt underneath was just about to the point of going!

After a couple of times of that happening I had holes in the denim bib so large that putting it back on was a very much hit and miss as too it offering protection, from mess or fire. So as said I opted for the leather when going really hot!!

Yeah, I wouldn't weld with it but everything else I do it works well.The best thing I think, are the wide shoulder straps and pocket setup. Very comfortable

Let us know how that apron holds up!! I've come to the point that unless its leather, I just don't seem to have any luck with it.... anything made of "fabric" gets eaten up by sparks when I'm grinding. I have two different aprons.....one for the finish shop, and another custom made one for the forge shop. I'll get some pics and post them up......and least of the forging apron.....the finish shop apron is getting pretty thread bare. :)

Last edited:
Let us know how that apron holds up!! I've come to the point that unless its leather, I just don't seem to have any luck with it.... anything made of "fabric" get eaten up by sparks when I'm grinding. I have two different aprons.....one for the finish shop, and another custom made one for the forge shop. I'll get some pics and post them up......and least of the forging apron.....the finish shop apron is getting pretty thread bare. :)

So who makes a good thick leather apron to protect us from the pointy stuff?

I started with a welding apron with pockets and had it catch a piece of hot metal that came of a bar I was cutting. Next I got one without pockets from Kayne and Son. Leather with straps and very comfortable. There are times I come into the house with it still on and the wife will ask me if I'm planning to work while I have lunch.

I have a second one waiting in my cabinet to replace it should the need arise. 4 years and it's still going strong.

So who makes a good thick leather apron to protect us from the pointy stuff?

To myself there in lies the problem. It is that compromise between light and comfortable Vs protection! Truly leather even though it can be hardened to point that it can be worn basically as armor, .................a incoming object at warp speed it may not stop even that. Protection from the pointy stuff, etc. Well a knife slung by a grinder, drill press, or buffer, leather even hardened may or may not be stop the offending object.

Then there is the rub to that question, have you ever tried to wear a sheet of plywood hung around your neck. The heavier and stiffer that leather needs to be, to contain pointy stuff tends too make it very uncomfortable to work with or in!!

I wear a sued/leather apron the covers everything from neck to above the ankle, it is a bit hot but not bad for being heavy! However I modified it as soon as I got it and, changed the hanging strap. it is wrapped with a terry cloth towel.
One it helps pad the weight on my neck and helps with catching any sweat at the same time. When it gets bad you take off the towel and wash or throw away!

The denim is light and only goes down to above the knee. I often have it on and forget about it! However when I set myself on fire I was grinding. The constant assault of the sparks on the bib, overcame the materials combustibility!
Now I am not saying I burst into flame but smoldering holes can be slightly uncomfortable as well!

Not to speak for JawJacker but the one that Duluth Trading makes, and they make two one of them is suppose to be made of the same material that fire hoses are made of. If you have ever messed with an old fire hose they are virtually indestructible. What usually destroys a fire hose is rotting from within or wear and tear from being drug back and forth across something! I buy some shirts from this company and their products are great, on the higher end of price but when you rate that against wear and tear not really as high as you think!!

I usually will grab the leather for grinding, especially an extended section and when using the forge. The lighter one is still top choice when headed the other direction. Comfort, ease of movement, the ability to sit down without being uncomfortable. Its kind of like life there really is no one size fits all,it a compromise ! LOL Just my take anyway!

I tried to get my Mrs. to snap some pics this morning before she headed to work....but she was running late, and as you can guess....it didn't happen! :) Anyway, The forging apron I use was custom made by Rowe's leather. A couple of years ago at the Blade show we were chatting, and I just happened to ask if he could do a custom leather forging apron for me.... I told him what I wanted, he took a bunch of measurments, and for $200 he did a fantastic job. He made it out of 7-8oz waxed leather, full length to the top of my feet (chap style legs), with the "X" across the back, and a strap with snap closures for each leg. Basically he did everything I asked for, and did it very well. Hopefully I can get Momma to snap some pics in the morning and post them up.

As for the finish shop apron, since mine is getting so ragged, and bearing in mind that I always just wreck any made of fabric, I suspect I'll either see if Rowe can build me a "lighter duty" finish shop apron, or end up buying a suede split side, and just making one myself.

Ed, I don't think you can get more HD than that. I have a leather shop down the road, have to see what they can do. Thanks

My hats off to ya Scott! I couldn't avoid sparks getting to me if I was encased in concrete. :) And they ALWAYS seem to find the places that hurt the worst....or are the least protected. :)

My hats off to ya Scott! I couldn't avoid sparks getting to me if I was encased in concrete. :) And they ALWAYS seem to find the places that hurt the worst....or are the least protected. :)

Have to agree with ED on that. I use to try and do as Scott said and avoid the spark streams but, sometimes there is only one direction to approach what you are working on, and of course that is the direction that puts you in a steady stream of sparks it seems. I do a lot of metal fabrication as well as knife making, the leather is the way to go when welding w/arc and grinding. At least when you smell something burning and you stop and flip up the hood to look around, its usually not you, with the leather! LOL

Figured I would post up a picture of the one I make and revive an old thread. You can stand in the spark stream all you want with this one.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 8
Boy this an old thread. This is what I settled on, or similar. I don't think I bought it from them!
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/t...4165&msclkid=f8730de52e23123773dc5660d05d329a

I see guys in pictures on this and other forums, welding/forging barefoot. I was chipping slag from a weld and it went in between my toes, immediately melted into the flip flops I was welding. So I couldn't get it out from between my toes until I got the flip flop off! Lesson learned I never weld/forge without my boots on.
I also use the longer apron because I have had hot slag get into my pants that had a wrinkle in the cloth. I am welding away and smell something burning. I stop flip up the hood and look around and don't see anything on fire. I drop the hood re-strike the arc , get about another 1/2" and the smell of something burning hits me again!! This time I stop look around and don't see anything. I reached to cut off the welder and oh crap, it is me that is on fire! Took the welding gloves I had on began patting the leg and reached and got my water bucket for grinding and doused the rest!!

Nope, it is boots and pants and full length apron!!!

Back