shop floor

loneronin

I'm cleaning out my basement to make it my shop. I was wondering how to floor it. now it is concrete, the one smooth with non-slip dots. not bad but it's dusty. someone advised me to porcelain it with glued outdoor gres, others klinker with glue. I had thought of the slats of the pallets, but I will also arc-weld and I don't want to ignite the shop! an other option are the interlocking tiles of plastic material. there is the linoleum, the paints for concrete but I do not know how strong they are and also the rubber floor tiles. a friend of mine suggested me these: http://www.remprubberflooring.com/en/prodotti/4/easyway-1. they seems really good to me.

what kind of flooring do you have in your labs and what would you recommend to avoid dust, noise, fire, not slippery and to clean it easily?

If I had a better shop I would leave the floor concrete. Mine has a wooden floor which doesn't allow me to grind indoors. ( isn't a problem in summer but this winter could be a hassle ). Place a few rubber mats as Stan says and you should be OK.

I'm cleaning out my basement to make it my shop. I was wondering how to floor it. now it is concrete, the one smooth with non-slip dots. not bad but it's dusty. someone advised me to porcelain it with glued outdoor gres, others klinker with glue. I had thought of the slats of the pallets, but I will also arc-weld and I don't want to ignite the shop! an other option are the interlocking tiles of plastic material. there is the linoleum, the paints for concrete but I do not know how strong they are and also the rubber floor tiles. a friend of mine suggested me these: http://www.remprubberflooring.com/en/prodotti/4/easyway-1. they seems really good to me.

what kind of flooring do you have in your labs and what would you recommend to avoid dust, noise, fire, not slippery and to clean it easily?

One thing to consider is shock absorption you don’t want any blades flying back at you if they come lose while grinding or buffing. A good rubber mat or even a box of rags will help protect your ankles when a blade gets lose.

I'm waiting for some samples of that rubber tiles (8mm thik) and for the prices... and I'm seriously considering to buy them. the rubber is 75shore hard so it should absorb some noise but also a random flying blade. moreover they should keep my feet warmer than the concrete in wintertime.

Last edited:
In one of David Darom's books he shows a shop with a yellow floor. It's a real time saver after dropping small objects.
Rubber mats at your work stations are always good.

David

In one of David Darom's books he shows a shop with a yellow floor. It's a real time saver after dropping small objects.
Rubber mats at your work stations are always good.

David

yes, a yellow or a light green or light blue would be my choise

If you have a farm store in your area you could check and see if they have horse trailer mats. They usually come in 4’X6’ pieces. I have a soft mat in front of my bench and I find that my back will start to heart if I stand on it for a long time.

sfor wood floors some rolled sheet metel works great.I got some years back from a hvac friend and makes grinding inside in the winter so much nicer.

I have a concrete floor and while easy to clean it can be painful on your feet and legs and back and..... you get the point. I highly recommend a thick mat where you spend a lot of time (grinder, assembly table). the mats with ground up rubber inside of them are amazing! I don't remember a brand name but you can find them on amazon, and don't be scared off by the price they're well wort it over time.

Back