Shop injury from three weeks ago.....(injury pic alert)

Smallshop

KNIFE MAKER
About 3 weeks ago I injured my foot...kicked an engine stand in the shop with only socks on...didn't bleed that I could see....no pain because of neuropathy. Two days later I'm in the hospital on IV antibiotics and they're worried the bone might be infected.

Nope. 5 days later I'm out....in the mean time...5 Bowie orders come through...which along with Gene K's is 6...cool a batch! But I am having trouble with energy and my foot swelling.

Yesterday the foot doc says "Are you staying off of it?" I say, "No...I told you I had some work to get done..." so now they put me in a surgical boot which is about 2" thicker than the low heeled general injury boot. But I realize while they are looking at it...I haven't even seen the injury which they say is healing well...but slowly....because the pressure of walking around the shop...which I carefully explained I would have to do If I want to keep eating this month (the day he released me from the hospital)

So I'm a bit frustrated that I'm just now getting the boot that relieves pressure...But makes the foot good and sore...and the back where my lung incision was....the skin on the ankle and shin had died from the infection...but is growing back...thankfully! I feel like a chunk of gristle anymore...lol.

The knives are turning out well....but very slow. Appreciate any prayers for healing....I am worn out from doc visits....

I finally told my wife at the docs office..."snap a pic so I know what we're all discussing..." now I know why it hurts....

Be careful in the shop guys!

159995036_291598612308372_2413561965375556247_n.jpg

That's a nasty one. I've wandered out into the shop in just socks before. I usually end up picking tiny slivers of metal out of the socks and sometimes my foot.

Be careful

holy cow Ted, that does not look nice. man, I'm praying for ya. (and me too ....i don want anything tha looks like that on this pristine body)

I’ve been known to kick stuff, and they’re numb to about where that starts. Thank you for the reminder. Hard to remember all the stuff we got away with that doesn’t work out any longer. :(

Hope you make a full recovery. Prayers sent.

Last edited:
Kicked engine stand?????/ IN YOUR SOCKS???? Bet you didn't hurt the engine stand at all? It just sat there and laughed at you after the kick.

Hang in there - and Prayers sent.

Thank you all for the encouraging words and prayers! I was almost embarrassed to show that pic that was a result of stupidity...but then I remembered I am experienced at stupidity...lol.

Dagum. Prayers as always. Sure wish I lived closer to you and I would come help you with anything you needed.
Daniel...I am touched. My knife making assistant (son) is at college this year. With my year long recuperation he prolly feels like he dodged a bullet! He was very helpful and never complains...

Thank you all for the encouraging words and prayers! I was almost embarrassed to show that pic that was a result of stupidity...but then I remembered I am experienced at stupidity...lol.
Don't worry Ted. With no feeling because of neuropathy it's quite understandable.

When I was in college I made the mistake of attempting to open a door with my foot. Rather than using the bottom of my foot, I used my big toe which resulted in a cracked bone and a broken blood vessel. I was on crutches for a week.

In my defense I believe there was alcohol involved. Not me of course. Most likely someone else that was involved in the fracas. :rolleyes:

Dang Ted, you need to be more careful. if your going to kick stuff at least do it with steel toe boots.
I hope you get better and back on your feet again soon.

Back