Short Bowie progress

Smallshop

KNIFE MAKER
Here's the first iteration of the short Bowie I'm working on. I have changed a lot....
The angled guard will be squared up as I don't have the energy to make everything a trigonometry problem.

This blade shows more belly out at the tip than as designed because of my many practice runs on finish grinding.

the blade is 1/4 thick which means pretty nose heavy...so I added one fuller...then two...which looks nicer than one big fuller but is a lot more polish work.
Also the taper tang has been squared up and now has a threaded 6-32 hole for drawing in the handle during glue up instead of the large 1/4-20 male boss. much less material being used this way....

the logo is smaller and squared up . also the blade is over ground so the ricasso/plunge area is not proud like the photo. I also shortened the ricasso just because it looked to long...you know how it goes on a knife design...what you loved on tuesday you wanna change on thursday...lol.

so the pic is the older version. I'll put up the new version soon.mont2.jpg

Here's the first iteration of the short Bowie I'm working on. I have changed a lot....
The angled guard will be squared up as I don't have the energy to make everything a trigonometry problem.

This blade shows more belly out at the tip than as designed because of my many practice runs on finish grinding.

the blade is 1/4 thick which means pretty nose heavy...so I added one fuller...then two...which looks nicer than one big fuller but is a lot more polish work.
Also the taper tang has been squared up and now has a threaded 6-32 hole for drawing in the handle during glue up instead of the large 1/4-20 male boss. much less material being used this way....

the logo is smaller and squared up . also the blade is over ground so the ricasso/plunge area is not proud like the photo. I also shortened the ricasso just because it looked to long...you know how it goes on a knife design...what you loved on tuesday you wanna change on thursday...lol.

so the pic is the older version. I'll put up the new version soon.View attachment 74665
Shoot ,man... It takes you two whole days? I wanna change stuff before I'm finished with the job at hand !

Love the shape! I want to make a fighting Bowie with a D guard. I have some Pakistani Damascus that I think im gonna use for the guard! Gonna be BIG!

Love the shape! I want to make a fighting Bowie with a D guard. I have some Pakistani Damascus that I think im gonna use for the guard! Gonna be BIG!
i could be way off here...but I recollect that a "D" guard can be considered brass knuckles? I would like to make one too...lol! (Long Bowie...short cutlass...)

i could be way off here...but I recollect that a "D" guard can be considered brass knuckles? I would like to make one too...lol! (Long Bowie...short cutlass...)

I dont know why but lately ive been compelled to want to build 1 like this! I forged a blade but wasn't happy with the size. So I'm going to make a larger one!! LOL!!

Back