should I even sell this?

If you are splitting the grown with a hand saw I would recommend that you get the widest one that you can manage. Something like a back saw without the band on the spine that stiffens the blade. You will have to mark the line that you want to cut and proceed very carefully.

Doug

Thanks for all the tips/advice. If I get it fixed anytime soon and it turns out ok I'll repost some pics. Planning to saw off the scales, clean the blade up, put bolsters on, and divot out the crown. Then reassemble. Not now though.

-Luke

Nothing to show I sawed scales off last month, broke them, and scratched it up. It needs some clean up so it's on the shelf for awhile. Thanks for the advice to not sell. I also noticed after 7-8 months the five minute epoxy was pulling away from the steel.

Luke

Since this post is up again, I guess I should ask for advice on how to hand finish a blade with a hollow grind?

I'm using sandpaper and was having a hard time keeping the line clean where the hollow grind starts and the flat area near the spine. My first thought was to sand hollowed area first, then flat area, in that order as I go up in grits. But even with the sandpaper backed up, I still get the overlapping scratches back into the hollowed area.

Is there something I'm missing or just need to keep practicing this method?

Luke

Finish this. It's not a gem, but way better than the original.

Blade is D-2 from a commercial supplier, handle and finish are by me.

Dyed birch scales, peened brass pins, and tried a forced patina. Lots of firsts again but I think I learned symmetry on knives is better than "unique." Maybe a right combination of the two is what to shoot for.

Attachments

• 100_0773 (2).JPG
    100_0773 (2).JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 10
  • 100_0685 (2).JPG
    100_0685 (2).JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 10
Back