Show me your dust collection system

Cool James, just remember that we are all trying to help each other.... by the way....I think I may be a grinding fool....depending on your definition.

Eric, Maybe I took Laurence's comments the wrong way , thanks for pointing that out, for me this grinder is a work in progress and I am committed to making this mega grinder endeavor work out, I appreciate all the knowledge from you experienced knife makers. That being said maybe I am also a" grinding fool" :)

Eric, Maybe I took Laurence's comments the wrong way , thanks for pointing that out, for me this grinder is a work in progress and I am committed to making this mega grinder endeavor work out, I appreciate all the knowledge from you experienced knife makers. That being said maybe I am also a" grinding fool" :)

James,
As Brad and Eric have mentioned there is no personal slamming or insults meant by my comments and if any were felt to be personal I sincerely apologize.

You have superb fabrication skills and know far more than I about machining from the large Bridgeport type mill in the corner to say the least.

As far as my comment of being a "grinding fool" Just sit back for a moment and think of the mental condition that would inspire someone to have a passion for making knives & working around flame & machines that can set you on fire, eat your fingers, spew dust and grit everywhere while exposing ourselves to loads of toxins and making a deafening amount of noise?

I am quite proud to be a Grinding Fool! There is nothing else I rather be doing!

Has anyone tried using a magnet to catch the steel dust? I used to work in a restaurant where they had these magnetic inserts that fit right on top of the garbage can. If any silverware was dumped into the garbage it would stick to the side. Here's a photo of it.
magnet_zps4bdd5e25.jpg
[/URL]

Attachments

• magnet_zps4bdd5e25.jpg
    magnet_zps4bdd5e25.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 15
That's quite ingenious if you ask me. I would also like to mention that with all my years in the design and fabrication industry, your finished work is superb!

That's quite ingenious if you ask me. I would also like to mention that with all my years in the design and fabrication industry, your finished work is superb!

Eric, thanks for the kind words, here is a better picture of it with the wheels on. The funnel is removable for easy cleanout.

James your dust collector looks almost too good. It's like something I could order from Enco or MSC. Nice work.

At the end of the day, 5 gallon buckets with water, a broom & good respirator will get the job done.

One tip I do have for everyone is that I buy the "Green" radiator anti-freeze and mix it in my 5 gallon dunk buckets.
It doesn't help with the dust, but it sure does help keep the oxidation down on your blades from dunking, especially for Carbon steel blades, dish soap breaks the surface tension to the grindings will sink too.

I'll add a little something. I kind of go with Rhino's approach: a water bucket, a respirator, and a broom. I am not obsessively clean. I sweep maybe once a week (but I'm part time, mostly working weekends with a few evenings thrown in). About once a month I get out my leaf blower, open the garage/shop door, and blow all the dust out. Since I live in west Texas where dust routinely blows under natural conditions, nobody minds if I add a little. The blower is by far the best way I've found to move dust out of the shop.

Here are a few pics of mine. Added a ceiling air filtration unit recently.

shop_pics8.JPG

shop_pics11.JPG

Of course I still use a respirator and my beloved shop-vac. :D

Just wanted to throw in my two cents are use a cool mist in the 5 gallon bucket and below my grinder it cuts down on the airborne particles quite a bit also keeps your night cool while you're grinding there's my two cents

Wow my voice text screwed that all up sorry for the miss spelled words. At the moment I can't type but I wanted to reply .

This isn't actually dust collection per say, but it is awesome. I saw this at the store the other day and just had to have it...telescoping handle with a magnet on the bottom. I just run it on long the floor under my grinder to pick up stray dust and put it in my trash can :)20170805_001537.jpg 20170805_001515.jpg

Back