Silencing a grinder?

Timy

Its not overly loud, but I am a night owl and would like to do more work with my kmg at night. I like my neighbors and dont want to be that guy.

Any thoughts? I know if you run the grinder without the belt it is PRETTY quiet, leads me to think maybe the tension spring something like rubber under neath and above it?

Love any thoughts you guys have.

I've found an excellent solution ! :shush::3:
My Bose is on 11 with Beck-ola as I type.
Somebodys gotta wake these damn howler monkeys up !

Attachments

• bhouz.jpg
    bhouz.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Sound attenuation is dependent on several factors. Without photos of your set up, it's rather difficult to pin point where you might have problems, though.

Look for any hollow cavities and plug them. Rubber or spray-in foam are very useful. The more mass you have, the quieter the vibrations will be. But you also need to shorten any spans so that their resonance has a deeper pitch.

My KMG is pretty quiet, but the motor itself makes some noise. I cut out squares of soft polyurethane rubber and punched holes in the center and set the motor on the soft rubber and also used rubber under the washers on top of the motor and the washers under the bench. This isolated the motor enough that there was no "sounding board" effect from the surface it was mounted to, which helped a lot.

I imagine that the noise comes from a number of sources: bearings, belt friction (grinding and drive belts), belt splices, and then the general vibration of all the moving parts.

If you think that any noise it coming from the vibration of the tension spring, just wrap your hand tightly around it and see if the noise lessens. that should be enough to rule that out.

Are you using a flat platen? The noise from the belt moving across the platen is just the nature of the beast. Your contact wheel is likely quite a bit quieter.

The last 3m cubitron belt that I have used has a loud seam. Will have to check the other belts and hopefully they ar snot like this.

Back