Skinner WIP

Mark Barone

This is the first knife I will be selling, ordered by a guy
where I work. He wanted a small knife for hiking. I showed him some basic designs and he liked the skinner shapes. I want to make the fit and finish as tight as possible. I based my design on a typical skinner. Nothing really special about it. I think with this small blade and the large radius at the finger guard area I will not have a plunge line. That should make it easier for me also. I think I have enough skills to handle this. I am using the small length of Damascus left from my Bowie knife. I also want to name it. If anybody has an idea. Like the sidekick... the skinmaster... although definitely not the latter.

5FF4109C-8DEC-491B-8CE2-8289DAB36E17.jpeg

On seeing your Bowie you certainly have the skills for it. I do wonder about the thickness on such a small knife though?

D
On seeing your Bowie you certainly have the skills for it. I do wonder about the thickness on such a small knife though?
i did too. I showed him another little knife I made that Started out at 3/16 and he liked the weight of it. Actually it .17 mm and I will be taken it down a little also so I think it will end up about . 15 mm. I think this is where the metric system makes sense.

I made a similar skinner last year.

E4-FC51-D9-343-F-490-F-BEBD-E944044-E990-C.jpg

The shape reminds me of the Yin and Yang symbol... which I think stands for harmony or synergy so maybe a play on that for a name?
Synergy Skinner?
1575765692419.png

One minor design thing I would change is the sharp point on the heel of the knife.
Look at DeMo's design.
His appears less likely to jab your finger.

One minor design thing I would change is the sharp point on the heel of the knife.
Look at DeMo's design.

Yes you are right. It’s what I like about the design, but does have that one unpleasant possibility.

Look at DeMo's design.

I made changes to the design with your thoughts in mind. It’s a little less pokey. I already cut out the blank, so I’m not sure I’m going to make the changes this time. Although I probably could . Here are both versions. I appreciate the input.
0BD9224A-E35B-4257-8781-1186A90D46BB.jpeg

Last edited:
I used my Porta band to shape the blade. The finger guard radius is pretty tight and it was difficult to get close to the line with the saw blade even with relief cuts. Rough sanded the edges with a 60 grit. Used a dremel and drum to shape the finger guard area. I think I should take Owls advice and take that sharp point at the heel down a north or two.
9C50E3F7-D2B7-4B1E-8563-73C91D2AB550.jpeg

I used my Porta band to shape the blade. The finger guard radius is pretty tight and it was difficult to get close to the line with the saw blade even with relief cuts. Rough sanded the edges with a 60 grit. Used a dremel and drum to shape the finger guard area. I think I should take Owls advice and take that sharp point at the heel down a north or two.
View attachment 71125
Nice! That looks like it will get the job done. :)

View attachment 71125
Agreed.

Back