Slip Joint Patterns

JC in SC

I've been working on my first slip joint, which happens to be my own design. Even though I'm not finished, I have already learned quite a bit about what not to do next time:what!: I'm hoping to finish this one up in the next week or two. After that, I'd like to start another based on a classic pattern. I don't have any classics to take apart though to get a pattern. Sure, I could sketch something up based on what I've learned from my first, but I'd rather work with an established pattern for the next one. Anyone have some patterns that they'd be willing to share?

I'm suggesting you look at pictures of what is being made, go to one of the WIPs and draw up your own. Believe it or not it's not that the person doesn't want to share their made up pattern, but that your use of it may not give you the results they are able to obtained from it with a bit of tweeking here and there. T feel liner locking folders aren't quite so particular. I can send you a scanned picture of a liner lock type that would include the blade shape and the liner shape with the pivot hole position if you like, but you will have to use my email address. I don't think I can get it up here for you. I'm very limited on my computer abilities. If you do this let me know if you want a hunting type or one a bit more fancy. You can go to customknifegallery.com and find both types of my work there. Frank

I'm suggesting you look at pictures of what is being made, go to one of the WIPs and draw up your own. Believe it or not it's not that the person doesn't want to share their made up pattern, but that your use of it may not give you the results they are able to obtained from it with a bit of tweeking here and there. T feel liner locking folders aren't quite so particular. I can send you a scanned picture of a liner lock type that would include the blade shape and the liner shape with the pivot hole position if you like, but you will have to use my email address. I don't think I can get it up here for you. I'm very limited on my computer abilities. If you do this let me know if you want a hunting type or one a bit more fancy. You can go to customknifegallery.com and find both types of my work there. Frank

Hey Frank, thank you for the response. Regardless of whether I use a borrowed pattern or draw something of my own, I fully expect to have to do tweaking to obtain the "walk-n-talk" and "flush in all three positions" characteristic of a good slip joint. I just want to start with a pattern that has good proportions. My first design, which may prove to work well, is all kinds of screwed up when compared to the other patterns that I see. Now that I've ground out the profile, it seems the tang is a bit undersized as is the spacing between the pivot hole and plunge. In other words, it is a good thing that I probably wouldn't want to mark this one as there won't be any room! Again, I just want to get the proportions of some classics down. I don't expect a turn-key slip joint kit. I'll check out your work and get back to you.

Ive got some patterns I dont care to send you. Shoot me a PM with your address.

Thanks Sean. PM sent. If anyone else has patterns, you can either post them here or email me: josh_christopher@msn.com. Thanks again guys.

I went to Case's website and did some research. You would not believe how many of their knives are very similar with only subtle differences. I printed pictures and asked some guys I know that carry simlar knives what they liked and preferred. From there I had a pretty good idea of what I was going to do. My guess is that untl you build 100 of these things, it will be almost imposible to come up with a pattern that works in every way. There are so many things that "have to be right" and spot on that it is easy to mess one up (I'm sure you know that now). I have several things that I will change on my way of building one the next time.

Believe it ir not, I have not met a single person that likes the swayback wharncliff design like your Coats you have just gotten. Personally I really like that design.

Honestly, it was Bruce Bump's mini feather slip joint that sparked my interest, but his wharncliff WIP really pushed me over the edge. I really love this pattern, but am not at all surprised that it isn't all that popular among others.

I just wanted to express a huge "thank you" to everyone that has responded to this request, either here or via email. Overall, the generosity and willingness to share techniques/tips is something that sets the knifemaking community apart from any other that I know of. That level of generosity and "open source" type attitude within our community is something that never ceases to amaze me. Again, thanks everyone!

Or you can do what most makers do, tear down an existing knife, reproduce a couple of times to get walk and talk down then modify pattern to your liking.

I like to go to flea markets and junk vendors and dig through old pocket knives. Even the old Imperials work very well as far as walk and talk and fit. You can get one for $ 4 or $ 5 and tear it apart for a pattern.

Back