Small wheel attachment question

I've seen both all stainless and rubber hub small wheel attachments. Is there any pro/con to the ones made of all stainless vs. the ones that have rubber compound hubs?

Thanks for help!
P

I have used both and have noticed that with the all steel wheel you tend to get a lot of chatter between the wheel and blade, Which tends to make grinding a little harder less smooth and uneven. On the plus side the all steel wheels are considerably cheaper.

You are referring to the small wheels that have a rubber type covering over the metal core? By all means the rubber is MUCH better. I make my small wheels from brass rod I've got. They have a good bit of chatter without any covering. On the wheels larger than 1/2" I put a few rounds of duck tape - not as good as a good rubber covering, but much better than just bare metal. No more grinding than is normally done with small wheel, all metal will "work".

Ken H>

Fred,
Get the rubber ones, There is not only less chatter but the slight give the 70-80 durometer hard rubber wheels take the metal away faster and aren't as hard on your belts.

Thanks for the info everyone! I ordered the more common size 3/4" and 1" with rubber and other less used sizes in all SS.

Thanks for the Duct Tape trick!

P

good choice. I started with a 3/4" and it did A LOT. But I was getting inconsistent finger notches trying to wallow out the notch so I get a 1" which has been a huge help. 60 knives in, I've just now gotten into a spot where I need a really small wheel to avoid changing the geometry of the knife to match the wheels I have (which is not a big deal if I did that, but it's still a seat-of-the-pants type fix, and I doubt I could ever do it the same way twice.) For this very infrequent issue, a steel wheel (a bolt-body, basically) would be just fine.

Back