So let's say I want to get into doing forging work..What do I need?

J S Machine

Every knife I have made thus far has been from stock removal methods or someone else's damascus. I have not gotten into the forging side of things because of where I used to live. I was in a neighborhood with houses really close together, and they would have never put up with the noise. We recently moved to a place out in the country where I can do it now.

I'm almost afraid to look at the cost I have ahead of me, but I need to know the basics of what I will need. I would like to get into making my own damascus and forging my own blades. I'm not sure of the things I need, but I do know I need to either build or buy a forge, an anvil of some sort, hammers, etc. I know that most of the guys really doing awesome damascus work are using presses. What kind of press is this exactly and where can I find them?

Judging by what I'm seeing on the cost of anvils, I imagine I will be accumulating this stuff over the next few years. I don't have a ton of money to throw at it.

First of all go slow or you risk having equipment that you don't use. You will need some sort of a forge; either solid or gas fueled. You will also need an anvil which can be just a block of steel or a more expensive London pattern. The block of steel is more like a tradition cutler's anvil. After that you will need tongs to handle hot steel. You can make your own if you wish or you can purchase them ready made. The ones that I have found most useful are chain maker's tongs. Forging hammers should have a more flat face without sharp lines to them and they need to be light enough to swing all day. You will end up with at least a few each of tongs and hammers. You will also need a bucket to cool hot tools, and occasionally hot body parts, in. It can be a galvanized bucket. Avoid plastic or they can burn through.

Doug

As Doug mentioned..... START SLOW. My first forge was an old brake drum off a ford pickup, a hair dryer for a blower, and a chunk of RR track for an anvil. As need, and money dictate, add a tool here and there until you have what YOU feel you need. Be forewarned.....once you get into forging, it will become addictive. Even after nearly 30 years, I still get excited with each damascus billet I turn out..... like a little kid, I have to clean a portion of it off, and etch it see whats there.....then I'm rushing back to the forge to do it again. :)

Just yesterday I had a recent student email me..... he had forged a small hunter style blade and tested it. He ran the brass rod test on it, did a bunch of cutting, and was still able to shave hair from his arm. He then bent it to 90 degree and back straight without the edge even cracking. It was obvious that he had never experienced a blade with those abilities, and was asking me if that was typical of all forged blades. If everything is done correctly.....yes! Far more control and much keener results then are possible with stock removal methods. I don't say that to belittle anyone doing stock removal, but rather to illustrate the possibilities when a knifemaker learns to forge. As I tell folks....Where else can a guy play in fire all day for a living....and not get into trouble?! :)

Looking at how to build a forge. I found a vid on youtube of a guy using a coffee can, and mixing up a bunch of chemicals and perlite to create the lining. I guess that it is propane fired.

I think I would rather have this than charcoal. I could build one of these easily..maybe even use a bigger vessel than a coffee can.

I have use an empty freon tank to build a forge.

rps20140527_143532.jpg rps20140526_185049.jpg

This is my traveling propane forge "Piggy"

Just got this piece of 4x4xXX hulk of steel to make my portable anvil out of from a local fabricator. You can get a drop (left over short piece) from a steel supply or buy a 4x4x4" or longer post anvil from OldWorldAnvils dot com. Google them.

rps20140811_211239.jpg

You can us a 3 lb engineers hammer to start with. Chinese ones can be gotten for around $5.

Do get a copy of the $50 Knife Shop Book. If you shop for it you can find it for around $10+ shipping on the net.

Happy forging and may your fire burn brightly!!!

This is something I have been thinking about myself. I would love to be able to forge a blade. I think it's part of my knife making addiction. I wish I had kept my grandpa's anvil when I had it. Unfortunately I let it go with the estate sale years ago. I have been looking for one for about a year now and they are pretty salty.

If you're going to build a forge (and I recommend it) you NEED to get this book: http://www.amazon.com/Gas-Burners-Forges-Furnaces-Kilns/dp/1879535203. I have a largeish vertical forced air forge, and I'm selling it to make a smaller, more efficient horizontal venturi forge. I recommend building the forge you'll need for 95% of the work you do, which doesn't really need to be very big if you're just bladesmithing. If you want to do larger stuff or make damascus, build another forge for that!

I was in your same shoes a little over a 1 1/2 ago. Satarted with small fisher anvil, home made coal forge (I welded up), few different hammers and tongs. I went full bore into Damascus as well and while it can be done with hammer, you will really see better results with press or power hammer (this is where the $$ come into play). I now have a 260 pound JHM competitor anvil and more hammers and more tongs. Still use same coal forge, but have since added a real blower from Pieh tool Company (amazing difference in fire). Main thing....converted my 33 ton log splitter into a press using raial road track as dies. This is the single most important thing that upped my game. A press or power hammer will make you leap miles ahead, but dont invest in stuff like that unless you are really into it.

This is a hobby for me as I practice medicine for a living, but I think about Damascus when I'm examining patinets far too often.

Back