Some new things from the shop

PoolQs

6.5" Chef/Utility 440c 60rc
304 SS bolster
Handle is teak wood for Dr. Tiek :D

3751b11a-3909-4268-9822-f3eaec850706.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

New molded handle project. Working on a prototype mold for different materials and epoxies.
IMG_0816.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

photo_2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Comments and critiques Always welcomed ... Thanks, Troy

The molded handle makes a lot of sense from the maker's perspective...but it IS all about perspective. What is the customer perspective on it? I am asking because I had thought about doing the same thing, but it seems the customer perception (those limited folk I have polled :)) seem to find molded handles a sign of cheapness. Right or wrong, the people I talked to all seem to feel that seeing the tang indicates quality. Again, not collectors or even well educated consumers, nor a huge base sample, but still in the demographic. Thoughts?

Generally, people have been told that full tang knives are superior to a rat tail or molded tang.

The exceptions are people that like the older French Sabatier rat tang Chef knives and folks that know Japanese knives.

Now if the price is low enough on a custom/Homemade with a molded I think there will be a market.

Thanks for the replies gentlemen. Michael, here is my perspective on the molded handles. Rhino said it pretty well for me. I have
been in the restaurant business as a chef manager for over 25 years. In the commercial world, very rare is a full tang knife used. I
do have a couple of exec chef that use them and I even have made and use a couple for myself. Most commercial made knives are molded
handles for the use of long periods of time. We hold these knives for 8-10 per day and want these knives to be a part of our hands
with the least amount of strain to our hands. Again, as Rhino said, with Japanese knife handle are D or hex shaped which will fit nicer
in our hands. The same if you look at commercial blades such as Dexter, Victorinox, etc. all have molded shapes to fit.

With all that said, I am NOT out to make mass produced commercial grade knives. I am wanting to make a product that I can make a mold
of the chefs hand and incorporate that into HIS personal knife. Let him choose the grade of steel and the quality of the product.
The second part of this project will be a home use product. Such as the knives above, I can make these pretty quick and inexpensively.
I am making a 3 piece set for a custom home designer that wants a specific look for display to match the granite top and cabinets.
She doesn't want a high end exotic wood for expense but wants a "twist" or eye popping effect on the counter. This is another application
for the molded handle. She is bringing me the linen that will be used and I will make the handle from that. All will match.

I don't think there is a high market for this type product, but ... it will be a good "niche" market for me. I will still continue making
full and hidden tang knives and I will have another option if they like.
Troy

Back