Some ways to get published in a knife magazine?

BossDog

KnifeDogs.com & USAknifemaker.com Owner
Staff member
Besides having great knives you MUST have great pictures.

There are a few photographers the specialize in knife pictures. They will take great pictures and submit them to knife magazines on your behalf.
Jim Cooper (Sharp By Coop) is one. Terrill Hoffman is another. Buddy Thompson is getting into knife maker portraits but also takes pictures of knives.
Coop got one of mine into Knife world.

I have also been in Blade a couple times (both shots by Coop) and had a 4 page spread in Knives Illustrated that were my pictures.

Time spent learning to take great pictures, if you are an internet seller, will be some of the best time spent.

When you send in pictures. Submit the best shot in both 5"x7" print and digital format. Sending 10 different shots of the same knife isn't going to help. Sending in 10 different knives might. Print your name, contact information and knife details on the back of the print copy. The digital version should be at least 300dpi and saved in CMYK format. You do not have to shrink it. They will do that if they use it. It's probably best to send in no more than 3 at a time. Wait a month and send in 3 more.

Magazine publishing is a business. If you want a better chance at getting into a magazine article, you advertise with that magazine. Make sure and mention you are an advertiser if you are in your cover letter.

Anyone else have any pointers?

I am just learning some of this stuff myself and Tracy is dead-on about the photos. Coop did a nice thread in BF about building a light box and getting softwere on the cheap and it changed things a lot for me.

You also need some professional photos if you really want to get into the mags, I was talking to someone at Balde this year and they told me that the mags have two piles they put incoming photos into, one with known knife photographers and one of unknown photographers..... what pile do you think they go through 1st?

One other thing, giving the right dealer 20-30% off a few of your knives is not a bad thing, if you get a dealer that will put ad's in the mags and promote your knives it can go a long way towards getting you noticed by the mags.

Last edited:
Chuck Ward is another good one. I have had three knives taken by Chuck. one was on Knives 2008 and Blade and another was in gents knife article 2 months ago in Blade. He not only takes great pictures but will send the picture to all the majr publications as part of the deal. My avator will go out shortly.

Chuck has taken a few pics of mine and always does a good job. he will send you a digital copy as well as an 8x10 and post it on his flicker site and send it to the publications.

Knife photography is something I have been wanting to get into. The information above is priceless. I have a bunch more research to do and I need to build a light box, but I really enjoy taking the out in elements pictures as well.

I will be following this thread for sure! Thanks!

Knife photography is something I have been wanting to get into. The information above is priceless. I have a bunch more research to do and I need to build a light box, but I really enjoy taking the out in elements pictures as well.

I will be following this thread for sure! Thanks!

You dont have to build one, harbor freight has some small pop up/folding ones for about $20 when you catch them on sale then just put it outside on a table top with a background like brick or tile or fabric/leather and take some pic's that's how I do the ones I take.

You dont have to build one, harbor freight has some small pop up/folding ones for about $20 when you catch them on sale then just put it outside on a table top with a background like brick or tile or fabric/leather and take some pic's that's how I do the ones I take.

Thanks for the info! I don't have a harbor freight in my town and I have access to PCV pipe so I will probably build a frame out of that then all I have to buy is the material.

We should have a thread on learning how to take good knife PHOTO,S.

I know i need all the help i can get !

Besides having great knives you MUST have great pictures.

There are a few photographers the specialize in knife pictures. They will take great pictures and submit them to knife magazines on your behalf.
Jim Cooper (Sharp By Coop) is one. Terrill Hoffman is another. Buddy Thompson is getting into knife maker portraits but also takes pictures of knives.
Coop got one of mine into Knife world.

I have also been in Blade a couple times (both shots by Coop) and had a 4 page spread in Knives Illustrated that were my pictures.

Time spent learning to take great pictures, if you are an internet seller, will be some of the best time spent.

When you send in pictures. Submit the best shot in both 5"x7" print and digital format. Sending 10 different shots of the same knife isn't going to help. Sending in 10 different knives might. Print your name, contact information and knife details on the back of the print copy. The digital version should be at least 300dpi and saved in CMYK format. You do not have to shrink it. They will do that if they use it. It's probably best to send in no more than 3 at a time. Wait a month and send in 3 more.

Magazine publishing is a business. If you want a better chance at getting into a magazine article, you advertise with that magazine. Make sure and mention you are an advertiser if you are in your cover letter.

Anyone else have any pointers?

BossDog, what program do you use to save your files as CMYK?

Thanks

In the past year Ive managed to help a few folks get into some of the magazines,.. Blade, Knives Illust, and Shooting Times.
All of the above statements by the Boss are true ,as is,.. DONT give up if they dont call you in a month,.. keep at it,. submit better pix, different knives(just because YOU feel its a great new TAC folder, they may have a ton of them ready for the next three issues and are thinking bowies and skinners would be nice this time).
Keep at it, keep submitting your newer and better work as time goes on.
It may cross 8 desks or more before someone thinks "hey ,this is really nice work"
Network at shows with both other makers,as well as press people.
You never know who might suggest to them that you should be looked at as an up n comer- or someone who has never gotten their due.

If youre in this to support yourself, you have to have drive and determination to succeed ,not just talent. Luck never hurts,.. but relying on it does.

You all talk about good photos and being published?/ Which is GOOD.
But what about the forums/ like this one?
And web sites?

I can put my photos on here / there? all day long.

Just ask makers you know, if they still subscribe to Blade Mag.?

A lot will say NO, use to - but not now.
And I bet a lot of collectors would say the same? The INTERNET an forums is easer and cheaper AND quicker?? :confused:

Later,

Todd

Back