Sorry but I have a FIF question.

Chris Railey

For those of you who have competed on FIF do the producers ask you to make fireballs during your quench? I just cannot think of any reason it benefits a blade to do this yet 90% of the people on the show do it. I was wondering if they ask you to...

No they do not, they certainly didn't ask us to do it in my episode. They didn't ask us to do anything for that matter. Everything you see the bladesmiths do, they do on their own. And yes, you are right, the fire balls serve no purpose but the camera guys like it and so do the producers. It certainly can be detrimental to a good quench.

It might be the lights are so bright they can’t get a good read on the steel in the forge. I always wondered why more contestants don’t use magnets.

A time or two I’ve noticed a film on top of the oil I wonder if they don’t add something to make it flareup

It might be the lights are so bright they can’t get a good read on the steel in the forge. I always wondered why more contestants don’t use magnets.
A time or two I’ve noticed a film on top of the oil I wonder if they don’t add something to make it flareup

I think the OP is talking about when the smiths take the blade out of the oil prematurely and it makes a fire ball. It's a natural thing for the oil to ignite when you quench a blade in the normal fashion, no additive required. There is no reason to remove the blade from the quench while the steel is still hot enough to ignite, to do so can cause you to get a poor quench.

Actually, I think it's from ignorance or just trying to look cool.

I watched one show last night. They had a guy on with "1" year experience as a part time smith. By the end of the first round he turned in a section of a coil spring. Nothing worked for him. That was to bad.

Last edited:
I think the OP is talking about when the smiths take the blade out of the oil prematurely and it makes a fire ball. It's a natural thing for the oil to ignite when you quench a blade in the normal fashion, no additive required. There is no reason to remove the blade from the quench while the steel is still hot enough to ignite, to do so can cause you to get a poor quench.

I apologize. Miss read the question. Fighting a head cold thats making my thinking a little loopy. Lol

Back