Sourcing cable for Damascus

Bert the Welder

Thought I'd start a new post here to expand on the question I asked over on Wade's "Butt Kicker" post.
I was looking for recommendations for the types of cable being used in cable Damascus.
What/where are good sources?
Anything to know that's crucial to forging it?
Are there sources of cable to avoid?
I had thought maybe tow truck and over head crane cable. Wade suggested sling/choker cable and elevator cable. And to avoid galvanized. ( you don't want to be the nut in the bell tower with a rifle....). He also said, to the best of his knowledge, the sling/choker cables are labeled as to what kind of steel they are composed of: Improved plow steel, extra improved plow steel or extra extra improved plow steel. Anymore info like this would be helpful too.
Thanks again Wade!
Just thought I'd see if we could pool info here as I'll start sourcing so I have it to beat on when I have the opportunity.
Thanks everyone!
Bert

A word about cable , its not all created equal . I buy the improved xxx plow cable its expensive as Rudy said . I used to take it apart and weave in some stainless wire for a little visual effect . Good cable is very close to Japanese Tamahagane in looks and performance. Sure makes some nice blades . I bought mine from high temp.... although its been a while , prices may have jumped ?? Bubba

Wow, that's hardcore Bubba!! Thanks Rudy, I'll check out high temp, but was thinking more used, for us beginners. Granted not knowing composition, could be wasted effort.

Just looked at high temp. I have nothing to compare them to, but the prices don't seem too bad. It's the shipping that's usually the killer getting stuff up here.
Are there certain applications that will find certain grades of cable being used? Like, maybe tow truck uses improved where as elevators use triple improved?

Last edited:
Bert,
That overhead crane cable will work. The large knife in my post was cable from an unknown source. You need to clean it up and get all of the grease out, I burn it out using a retired old forge a burn barrel will work too. You don't want to contaminate your good forge if you use a propane forge. Make sure whatever cable you use that there is nothing else inside the cable. Some cables have a plastic streamer or a rope/cord streamer these can cause voids when forging and are a p.i.t.a. to remove before welding. Remember that flux is your friend when starting your weld. If you don't know the composition of the cable heat treat it just like you would 1084 steel and you can adjust your heat treat from there.
Good luck and post pictures.

Wade

I always used crane cable from a friend. When they got a kink they had to unspool it and replace it. Know several that use elevator cable to make knives

Check your area for gravel pits or stone quarries.
I have a stone quarry minutes away, they drag their blast nets from place to place with a D-8. When a drag harness breaks they torch it off and forget about it, my cordless saws-all makes the peices managable. Most pits I've been to, you can't swing a dead cat without running into cable laying around.

Rudy

Awesome info guys, big thanks!
Wade: my metal supplier has a 20 ton overhead crane, hence my first thought was that as a source. We've gotten to be friendly and he's very good to me. I know if I asked, next time the cable got changed out, he save it for me. Probably a life time supply! Rock quarry is a good idea too.
Kind suck around here for getting into scrap yards. My shop mate and I used to go for a cruise through various yards around here. But, word around the campfire is that last year someone was in, scrounging around and hurt themselves. Apparently it wasn't MAJOR major type of injury and was nothing to do with fault by the yard, but the dumb sh*t sued. Didn't win, but that caused all the yards to close their doors.
No worries about wrecking the forge. It's Mike's, my shop mates. It's a "Lego" forge. Build with fire bricks to suit the size of the job. One "cap" with a single burner and one with a double for bigger set ups. Not as efficient as a proper one, but nice to having it flexible. If I get into it more, I'll build a "proper" one.
Thanks again guys for the info!

Check with a local crane or rigging company.
Most crane companies re rigg their cranes depending on the hours. Ive used some I got off the rigging company local to me and for a knife I would have sold for $125 I got a pick up truck full of 3' pieces 1.5" around.

Good Luck and God Bless
Mike

That's good thinking, Mike. A"gift" for the help always goes a long way. I always go around at Xmas to my suppliers with "gifts" in brown paper bags. :thumbup1:

Check with a local crane or rigging company.
Most crane companies re rigg their cranes depending on the hours. Ive used some I got off the rigging company local to me and for a knife I would have sold for $125 I got a pick up truck full of 3' pieces 1.5" around.

Good Luck and God Bless
Mike

Back