spark catcher for grinder?

Hi to all,
I'm getting a Pheer grinder and have a question which will affect the design and build of the bench for the grinder. What do you recommend for a spark/metal dust collector? I could make a tin "box" that slides out from the bench to be positioned in the right spot under the belt depending on which tool was attached. If I use a shop vac with a collection trap what type of spark arrestor would I need and how do you make that? Thanks for the advice, pics, links, etc. -Todd

Welcome.

The spark arrestor to use without buying expensive stuff is to only grind steel. Then only grind wood etc Flammables.

I purchase cheap wet/dry shop vac's and clean it out after the wood gets ground. I have had a fire start in the Vac can before and it makes things a bit too exciting!:biggrin:

Your idea of a metal chute under the wheel will work find. I purchased a 8 x10 funnel with a 4" hook up. I think I brought it from Grizzly tools.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Last edited:
I just put a pan on the floor where most of the sparks all to help clean up afterward. Others use a bucket. My shop vac stays plugged in and I finish each secession by vacuuming everything down.

Doug

I use a shop vac also and cut the bottom out of a gal milk jug and plug the vac hose into it then hang it under the grinder. I also put a couple of gallons of water in the vac so nothing will cath on fire.
MoblMec

I have seen a PVC and little chute like you have described that worked well. I haven't gotten to make one yet but what you have described is the way I am going.

I put a few strong magnets in the areas my metal dust collects. Easy to clean up. For wood and fiber dust I just vac up.

Back