Speed question?

Kev

Gun to your head... could you make a knife to your standard in one day? No time restrictions, full 24 hours to work.

I know my answer, and I have a reason for asking. Curious how others feel.

It would be a long damn day, but yes. The only fly in the ointment would be the time it takes for heat treat and tempering. The handle material would also have to be something that can be sanded and buffed to completion versus something that requires an oil finish, and it would have to be made with mechanical fasteners because the epoxy wouldn't cure in time.

So yes, I could make a basic 3-piece knife (blade and two scales), but I could not do it the way I actually make my knives.

Now, in reality 24 hours *total time* is a doable for most any knife that isn't a highly embellished piece, just not 24 consecutive hours.

Yeah I could but I am just now starting to get my feet wet with high grit handle and blade finishes so I'm sure that counts for quiet a bit of time

We did one the other day to show a new kid how to make a knife. It was pickled 1095. Had him pick out a pattern , cut it out, hollow ground, jimping on back, then heat treated. Cleaned it up, tempered while we went to lunch. Came back and finish ground and cleaned up. Had a nice stick of brown canvas micarta,cut out scales, did cheat and use 5 minute epoxy on it with pins and thong hole. Cleaned and shaped scales by belt to 600 grit then buffed. Sharpened in 6 hours. I had a sheath already in house.

One of my "basic" knives, yes, as long as I wasn't "thinking" about it or emotionally invested. THAT has been the killer for me with my kith knife.

Yes. Easily. But it while it would be to my standards it would be a type of knife I really have no desire to make any more.

Say something like this but using A2 and removable scales.

20180825_142107.jpg

Back