SS Spacers in Full-Tang Knives

Possible?.......yes. Quick and easy?.....not so much.

If I was going to do that (actually I've done similar), I would never rely on glue or epoxy alone.
Thanks, John! I figured it would probably be tough, but when “you” say not so easy, I’ll back burner this for a year or two lol.

Glue up a stack of spacers, wood, antler, etc then band saw the stack in half and mount on either side of the full tang- I find this easiest way.

Glue up a stack of spacers, wood, antler, etc then band saw the stack in half and mount on either side of the full tang- I find this easiest way.
Thanks for the tip! When you mount the spacers, do you use hidden pins or some other technique to keep everything together?

That kind of accuracy is where a milling machine is worth its weight in gold. I have a little mini-mill, and even though I dream of having a Bridgeport, this little mini-mill is indispensable for accurate work. Accurate work can be done on a good drill press, but doing that level of fixturing to get spacing and squareness right... I couldn't do it.

That kind of accuracy is where a milling machine is worth its weight in gold. I have a little mini-mill, and even though I dream of having a Bridgeport, this little mini-mill is indispensable for accurate work. Accurate work can be done on a good drill press, but doing that level of fixturing to get spacing and squareness right... I couldn't do it.
Thanks, John. Just out of curiosity what is the make and model of your mini mill?

I have the Sieg X2D that is sold through Little Machine Shop .com

https://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=4962&category=1387807683

It's $699. I think I caught mine on sale for 600. Then I put the iGauging DROs on it. It is a great little machine for what it is. When I bought it, I had never used a milling machine in my life and I didn't want to go buy a used Bridgeport because frankly I had no idea what to even look for. I was afraid I'd buy some knackered old piece of crap because I didn't know any better.

Having used my little mill for a year or so, I'd definitely prefer to have a full sized milling machine and I will eventually get one. But, given the choice between having a mini mill or no mill, I'd buy this mini mill in a skinny minute. There are things that seem utterly impossible until you get a mill. (cutting slots in guards, squaring up material, drilling multiple accurate holes without having to measure and clamp the work 10 times...)

Honestly, you know what I do with the mill more than anything else? I use it to flatten my scales after I cut them on the bandsaw. I used to do that on my grinder, and I got pretty dang good at it. The milling machine makes it an absolute no-brainer.

Drawbacks to the little mini mill are that it's a mini mill. You aren't going to take big cuts and you aren't going to get super good surfaces because the machine has very little mass, which means if you try to push it it will chatter. Still, if the choice was this mill vs no mill, I'll take this mill every day and twice on Sunday. It's been a great little machine to learn on.

Right hidden pin the center section, and thru-pin a bolster of wood or metal on front of stack, and a pommel-like pieces on either side of butt end which are also through pinned.

I have the Sieg X2D that is sold through Little Machine Shop .com

https://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=4962&category=1387807683

It's $699. I think I caught mine on sale for 600. Then I put the iGauging DROs on it. It is a great little machine for what it is. When I bought it, I had never used a milling machine in my life and I didn't want to go buy a used Bridgeport because frankly I had no idea what to even look for. I was afraid I'd buy some knackered old piece of crap because I didn't know any better.

Having used my little mill for a year or so, I'd definitely prefer to have a full sized milling machine and I will eventually get one. But, given the choice between having a mini mill or no mill, I'd buy this mini mill in a skinny minute. There are things that seem utterly impossible until you get a mill. (cutting slots in guards, squaring up material, drilling multiple accurate holes without having to measure and clamp the work 10 times...)

Honestly, you know what I do with the mill more than anything else? I use it to flatten my scales after I cut them on the bandsaw. I used to do that on my grinder, and I got pretty dang good at it. The milling machine makes it an absolute no-brainer.

Drawbacks to the little mini mill are that it's a mini mill. You aren't going to take big cuts and you aren't going to get super good surfaces because the machine has very little mass, which means if you try to push it it will chatter. Still, if the choice was this mill vs no mill, I'll take this mill every day and twice on Sunday. It's been a great little machine to learn on.
Right hidden pin the center section, and thru-pin a bolster of wood or metal on front of stack, and a pommel-like pieces on either side of butt end which are also through pinned.
Thanks guys! This is really helpful stuff. I definitely think I’m gonna hold off on this project for now... need more tools and more experience. The mini mill looks like some serious fun... gotta get one!

check Craig's List. they come up used quite often because people outgrow them fairly quickly. They are tough little machines and I wouldn't hesitate to buy a used one. I don't think you can really push them hard enough to hurt them. Repair parts are fairly cheap. I broke my drive gear, but it's an $8 glass-filled nylon part that looks intentionally sacrificial. I bought several when I ordered the replacement because shipping was more than the gear. It's a ten minute fix.

It's been said a million times before, but you spend a lot more on tooling than you do on the machines. You don't have to- it just happens. (Tool Aquisition Syndrome). For a mini-mill all you need are a few basics. If you ever pull the trigger on one I'll be glad to tell you what to get.

I use my mill a lot for all sorts of projects. It has definitely paid for itself over and over again.

check Craig's List. they come up used quite often because people outgrow them fairly quickly. They are tough little machines and I wouldn't hesitate to buy a used one. I don't think you can really push them hard enough to hurt them. Repair parts are fairly cheap. I broke my drive gear, but it's an $8 glass-filled nylon part that looks intentionally sacrificial. I bought several when I ordered the replacement because shipping was more than the gear. It's a ten minute fix.

It's been said a million times before, but you spend a lot more on tooling than you do on the machines. You don't have to- it just happens. (Tool Aquisition Syndrome). For a mini-mill all you need are a few basics. If you ever pull the trigger on one I'll be glad to tell you what to get.

I use my mill a lot for all sorts of projects. It has definitely paid for itself over and over again.
Thanks, John! I will get one eventually, and when I do, I will definitely give you a holler.

Back