Stacked leather handle

I use a quality epoxy with a long working time. (45 minutes) This doesn't rush me through and make me forget spacers or whatever do-dads you feel inclined to use.

Rudy

I use West Systems 105 epoxy with the slow rate hardner. I get about an hour work time in South Florida. It cleans up with alcohol while still tackie. It is a marine grade epoxy and waterproof.

I wetted the washers and used Gorilla Glue. Worked like a charm with no visible glue line. The key was to only try glueing a few washers into a short stack and then clamp them between some wood planks. Several of the washer stacks are then glued together to make a handle-length stack. No problems so far.

Try getting a bunch of washers stabalized. They work great and glue great as well. Then when you polish them off there is no comparison to the finish you get. The guy that makes my sheaths has a lot of scrap leather and I go over and punch out washers whenever I want them. He had a large rolls of old leather belting used in some type of industrial application and I made washers out of it. They are 1/2 inch thick and soaked the stabalizer up like a sponge. Worked great with a lot of different shades of brown to them.
Anyway you use it, it will make a great handle for certain types of knives.

Back