Stag and Copper

One

Banned
… another “handle first” construction.

I’m finding, (at least for myself), that with some of these irregular natural handle materials shapes/forms,… starting handle first and profiling the blades to go with them seems to help... We’ll see.

I’m planning on a scrolled guard and big 12 inch hammer finished bowie blade.

DSCN6765_zpsd682897b.jpg

DSCN6780_zps3494b860.jpg

DSCN6785_zps2bbe5540.jpg

Maybe but,… I see it more as the art of thinking backwards.

When you follow the logic,… if it works backwards, it must also work forwards and vice versa. You see it all the time these days, in almost every field.

It’s "reverse engineered"… ;)

Last edited:
Very nice fittings. Will make a great looking knife!!!

I have started with the handle a couple of times. I have one in the works now, gator jaw handle. Been working "on/off" on the guard for about 8 weeks (no mill so, by hand). so I understand your thinking very well.

Last edited:
Can't wait to see how it ends up; the handle looks promising. :) I wonder if Ray works like this. His antler handles always flow so perfectly with the blades.

I think he starts blade first, but might have a larger selection of stag to choose from.

This stag was the only piece I had big enough for a 12 inch blade. That narrowed it down to one…. “process of elimination“, plus "double reverse" engineering. LOL

Last edited:
Looks good to me Tai...and the logic seems sound as well. Sometimes doing things out of their usual order keeps the creative spark bright.

You call that a Custom Knife? Where are the grind lines? The plunge cuts? The ricasso? How can that be quality work...?

You know I am teasing. I was specifically looking for some knife pics to stare at that did not look just like all the rest. Great job, Tai. I really like this one a lot. The copper bolsters and guard are fabulous. Especially the guard. I like the overall shape to the blade, too. I am really poking fun at the professional knife world, not you.

take care,
kc

Back