Started forging

Freds Edge

Well I'm started to teach myself forging using the book Complete Bladesmithing Guide and the first thing I have learned is a set of tongs is required unless you have little respect for your skin on your left hand . Any thoughts on where to purchase tongs,I don't have the skills to make a set at this point.

Box Jaw Tongs.jpgBox Jaw tongs like these from Centaur Forge, Pieh Tools or Blacksmith's Depot are what I use the most. Offset blade tongs are also very helpful and sold at the same places.

http://quickanddirtytools.com/collections/all

Fred not sure if this is what you are looking for but I came across these guys on Facebook. I have not purchased anything from them yet but probably will at some point. I know they recently had a big shop fire and I think they are just getting back going so might not have everything in stock but there prices seem reasonable.

I like chain makers tongs. They're like a V jawed tong with a notch in each jaw that allows me to hold the work at right angles. There's also a maker of blacksmithing hand tools in Taiwan, G S Tongs, he has his own pattern of knife tongs that you might like. I also noticed that he has an interesting looking anvil that he makes when I popped over to his sight. (like I need another anvil). He pretty much makes things to order so he might not have a given tong on the shelf but he ships quickly even when he does have to make up a set.

Doug

Last edited:
Thanks guys for all your help, ordered a few pair of tongs today and through in a new cross peen hammer as well . I purchased them from Blacksmiths Depot and the people there were very helpful and pleasant to work with.

Back