Started my first hawk

Joetrain

I started pounding out a ball peen hawk for the first time yesterday and I think I've learned quite a bit. First off, my improvised forge needs an upgrade. Second, I need a bigger anvil. And Third, now I know why blacksmiths were always so ripped. That's one heck of a workout! I only got about 1/3 of the metal moved downward, so I'll finish this one when I have a better forge. I'll keep y'all updated.

Good for you Joetrain. The frist one is the hardest the second one get easier an so on.

One thing I noticed after working on this hawk; I no longer have that annoying shoulder/back pain that has plagued me since high school. For some reason, pounding out steel with a hammer did wonders for my back. Still working on getting an upgraded forge, so I've been working on small knives instead lately, but man its great no to hurt anymore.

I hear you Joetrain! A year or so away from the forge (moved and didn't have a place to set it up) and started up again... a couple hours of hammering and my arm felt like it was a noodle!

Back